Jakeem McNeil: Gentlemen’s League Vice President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Jakeem McNeil

Major: Psychology with a minor in philosophy

Academic Year: Senior

Hometown: Charleston, South Carolina

Describe your perfect date?

My perfect date would be going out to eat and a movie and then walking around somewhere outside at night. Talking laughing and enjoying each others company.

Tell me about the Gentlemen’s League Winthrop organization that you are a part of?

The Gentlemen’s League is a professional male development organization whose purpose is to uplift all male kind across campus. This organization has really helped me to grow professionally and personally from having deep discussions with the other members to having workshops on interviewing and connecting with other professionals.

What is your favorite sport and sports team?

I am not in the slightest a sports person. I do not watch sports at all.

What did you do for the summer?

All summer I worked with children as a camp counselor. It was a hot energetic, and very fun job. I miss the kids all the time. My plans for the fall semester is to continue to grow financially, spiritually, physically and mentally the best way I can.

What is your favorite place on campus?

Anywhere I can listen to my music in peace.

One of your favorite hobbies?

I enjoy playing video games. I can do that all day and any day.

One of your hidden talents?

The ability to draw and create.

Are you an introvert or extrovert?

I’m definitely an introvert. When I am around people for too long, it exhausts me. I am a person that requires alone time. Alone time is essential for my peace of mind.

What is an interesting fact about you?

Despite my constant angry expression, I am a very jolly and funny person.

What are you great at?

I am great at helping people feel good about themselves. I am the best kind of friend to have.

Favorite season?

Winter, I love the cold so much I do not like the summertime.

Favorite movie?

The Breakfast Club, I love the contrast of the characters and how these people from different areas of life were able to connect and bond.

Favorite novel?

The Art of Seduction. It intrigues my inner psychic.

Do you have a person who motivates and inspires you? My mother inspires me. She is so strong, independent and supportive. I aspire to be that great of a parent.

Favorite celebrity?

My favorite celebrity is Kanye West. I love his confidence, weirdness and his desire to change the world. In addition, he being blunt and honest is funny.

Who do you look up to?

I do not have anyone I look up to, I just try to be the best me I can be. 

I am a Mass Communications major at Winthrop University with a minor in theatre. I enjoy reading, writing, singing, blogging, traveling, photography and all things newsworthy(media, fashion and entertainment). I also love having fun and doing quality professional work. I enjoy volunteering with various organizations one in particular SOAR. A fun fact about myself is that I enjoy figure-skating and I use to take piano lessons. I truly enjoy being in the company of my family, friends and church family and I love helping others. I am excited about this opportunity, as I am looking forward to learning and passing it on.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.