It’s Time to Live in the Present This New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you make a list of things you want to change for the new year! However with each year that passes, it seems like my resolutions are either totally forgotten about or my motivation for the resolution disappears and they turn into total busts.

With class and all the stress that we have going on throughout the semester, it’s hard to stay committed and focused on your goals for the year. Resolutions like eating healthily, keeping up with my studies, and making time for the gym seem to be even less appealing when they become formal goals.

So here’s my suggestion to be the resolution blues:

Live in the present. 

Instead of making a list of specific things you want to change or do differently, try the more laid back and casual version, and just make a promise to yourself to be a better version of yourself all around.

Not one single person is perfect, so don’t screw yourself over by making a resolution list trying to be the “perfect person”.

You must believe that you are beautiful no matter how many pounds you lose, how many hours a week you hit the books, or how many salads you eat (and Instagram). We all compare ourselves to other girls–it’s basically in our second nature to do it–but we shouldn’t. 

This year focus on you. The ONLY person you need to compare yourself to and be better than is the person you were yesterday.

Grab 2016 by the horns, and own it. You got this, girl…you got this.

Stay lovely, collegeittes. 

Maclane is a senior Integrated Marketing Communications major at Winthrop University from Columbia, SC. Most of her time is spent doing homework or working. Maclane is obsessed with pugs, but she's slightly more obsessed with her little brother who means the world to her. Pizza is her absolute favorite! More favorites include naps, time spent with her friends, and still laughing at a joke 5 minutes after it's told. Maclane is a phenomenal writer who is comfortable writing about uncomfortable subjects. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram: @maclaneriley and Snapchat: carleymacriley
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.