International Women’s Day: What Is It?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

March 8 was International Women’s Day. Women all around the world gathered together to recognize amazing women in their lives. Although women were celebrating, not a lot of us actually know what International Women’s Day is.

International Women’s Day (IWD) was originally called International Working Women’s Day. The first time this holiday was celebrated was February 28, 1909 in New York.

The purpose of the people of New York celebrated women that day was in remembrance of the strike of the International Ladies Garnet Workers Union the year before.

Since 1909, IWD has been recognized as a national holiday in many countries including Afghanistan, Cuba, Russia, Vietnam and more.

The purpose of IWD is to celebrate the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women across the world.

The 2016 theme of IWD is #PledgeForParity in efforts to close the gender gap between men and women in a timelier manner than has been suggested.

If you are interested in learning more and in taking the pledge please visit internationalwomensday.com/Pledge and #PledgeForParity.

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.