This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As Americans, one of the most important rights we have is the right to vote.

There are so many other places in this world where democracy is nonexistent…so we truly should not take advantage of our suffrage. Countless people died and suffered for us to be able to have this right, and there are still troops putting their lives on the line each day to ensure that we still get to elect our leaders. When it comes to electing a president, this right seems relatively minute; we only do it every four years and that there are so many other people who vote plus the electoral college that we think our vote doesn’t count, but that couldn’t be further from the truth.

I understand the frustration, especially this year when the two candidates are dividing this country in a way that is unheard of. This is the first time I get to vote, and like millions of other people in my age group, I can’t help but feel as though I have been robbed because of how unfortunate our choices are. However, that did not stop me from registering to vote promptly after turning 18. There is no mistaking the fact that America has many faults, but this country champions democracy in such a way that it has kept us as major leaders in the world. It also took us a long time to sort out voting rights so they would be fair, but what matters is that they finally are. That being said, we can’t let this opportunity pass us by.

It’s hard to feel heard when millions of people vote, but this country works because of that. I am one of 27.3 million Hispanic people who are eligible to vote, and even that is a little overwhelming to me, but it also encourages me to be part of a group who will make a difference in this country’s future. The important thing is to not let anyone discourage you from voting because I promise you will regret it on November 8th if you threw away your shot to participate in democracy. This election is particularly crucial for you to exercise this right because there is a candidate who seeks to tear down democracy through misogyny, xenophobia, racism, and playing to the “fears” of the American people; this candidate also demeans democracy by apparently refusing to concede to the opposition, should they lose. However, no matter who you choose, make sure you get out there November 8th and make your voice heard before it’s too late.

PS: Check out these super cool star-studded campaigns about the importance of voting. Your favorite celebrities are participating, so you should, too!  

Isabella is sophomore political science major at Winthrop University. She is equal parts coffee, chick fil a, and Friends quotes. She loves her sorority, memes, traveling, petting dogs, Barack Obama, and telling bad jokes. She can connect anything to The Office and when she grows up, she wants to change the world. Check out her adventures on Instagram: @izzyazaleaxo
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.