I Don’t Have a Computer & It’s Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Here’s the long and the short of it: My computer broke over Christmas break, and so I haven’t had one all semester. I can’t check emails as much as usual, I have to plan when I do homework, and I have to actually choose to spend time watching Netflix because I have to find a computer to watch it on.

As scary as it might sound to you, it’s actually the best thing to happen to me.

Granted, I am an outlier in our generation of technology. I didn’t get a phone until my senior year of high school and once I did finally get one, it was a dinosaur phone and is actually the one I still have today. Since I don’t have a smart phone, I don’t have a Twitter or Instagram, and I barely use Facebook or Pinterest anymore. Last semester I mostly used my computer for school, and the occasional Netflix and Hulu… and by occasional I mean clearing out approximately four and half seasons of America’s Next Top Model during finals week. Clearly, I spent a lot of time on my computer.

But, ever since I’ve been spending less time on a computer, I’ve noticed a few things.

I’m actually less stressed. 

I’ve discovered that I can afford to only check my email two or three times a day. The emails don’t stack up too much at all, and I don’t have that cloud hanging over me demanding immediate replies.

Life is quiet without a computer (at least for me).

I don’t have an iPod; I listen to music solely on Spotify. I can’t turn on something to play in the background as I do laundry which can sometimes be annoying, but it’s nice to have the calm and quiet. In the times I do need some kind of sound, I turn on the radio on my clock, which has allowed me to listen to a lot of jazz and blues and discover cool, new songs.

The quietness affects what I want to spend my time on when I do have access to a computer.

I’ve even started listening to more podcasts instead and have been watching less Netflix. In fact, I’ve listened to both seasons of Serial and am looking for other cool podcasts.

4. I’ve found myself reading more for fun.

I have barely read any books for fun in my three years at school, but without a computer, I’ve been able to return to a favorite hobby. It’s been fun to sift through the library and find books.

At the end of all this, I’m left with the question of if I even want to buy another computer or not. I think I’m okay without one because right now the benefits of not owning a computer are outweighing the benefits of owning a computer.

I’ll probably buy one within the next few months, but for now, I think I’ll sit back and enjoy the silence.

Emily Grace Gill is a senior mass communication major with minors in business and theater. When she's not thinking about writing or traveling, she is befriending every dog she sees on campus.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.