This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

When people see me, there are a few things that they can always identify. I’m a young, white female. I am 19 years old, living on my college campus. People have argued and continued to argue about what privileges women have in today’s society. An example of a privilege that people think women have is receiving chivalry. Another example is some men think women aren’t under as much pressure to provide for their family like men are, but in today’s day and age this is no longer the case. Another example is people think women are accepted as being emotional and can use it as an excuse for things. This isn’t true for every woman out there, or every situation.

The past few years I have watched as people my age of different races are protesting for the Black Rights Movement. Growing up, I always knew my skin color gave me a privilege that I didn’t have a true appreciation for until I was old enough to understand what it really meant. Peggy McIntosh said, “it is an open question whether we will choose to use unearned advantage to weaken invisible privilege systems and whether we will use any of our arbitrarily awarded power to try to reconstruct power systems on a broader base” (133).

Growing up, I learned about racism so that I would fully understand how wrong it is and hopefully my generation would put a stop to it. While this is what I learned as a young white girl, my peers of a different race weren’t learning the same thing. Some of my friends had to become aware of systemic racism, so they knew to protect themselves and how to do it. I’ve grown up learning about my heritage, where I come from and the people who built it up for me. Usually I hear about people of the same skin color as me. In reality, this country is filled with Black women who changed history for all Americans. North Shore Community College states, “In 1948, Charlotta Bass, a California newspaper publisher and editor, left her 30-year allegiance to the Republican party out of exasperation over their very limited support for racial and gender inclusivity. She joined the newly created Progressive Party and, in 1952, Charlotta became the first Black woman to be nominated to the role of Vice President on any party’s national ticket” (‘Examples’). It wasn’t until 1968 that a woman won a seat in congress, her name was Shirley Chisholm. Learning to give examples of community responsibilities,  “…full human potential cannot be reached if individuality is suppressed by society. In all free societies there is a constant and unavoidable tension between rights and responsibilities. As a female in today’s society, I feel my obligations are to have a impressional career, become a role model for today’s children, and play a key role in the socio-economic development of the community. 

According to PayScale, the median salary for men is roughly 19 percent higher than the median salary for women. Even with this statistic, I know that my role in my community is still very important. There are many specific career opportunities that are typically dominated by women in the United States. Some examples include; Preschool and kindergarten teachers, Dental hygienists, Speech language pathologists, Dental assistants, Childcare workers, Secretaries and administrative assistants, Medical records and health information technicians,  Dietitians, and nutritionists. This aligns with my life pretty accurately. My mom was a Preschool teacher before she became a stay-at-home mom. My eldest sister is currently a fourth grade teacher and hopes to become a school administrator one day. My other sister is working towards becoming a school psychologist. I myself am an Early Childhood Education major and hoping to become a teacher one day. Teachers have a very strong impact on the future of our world. Robert Brooks from LD Online states, “Teachers have a very significant, lifelong impact on all of their students. This impact involves not only the teaching of particular academic skills, but as importantly, the fostering of student self-esteem. Reinforcing self-esteem in the classroom is associated with increased motivation and learning” (‘The Impact of Teachers’). Teachers are impactful today and everyday.

My biggest role model in my life is my oldest sister. She lives the life I dream of having one day. She’s a teacher, a mom, a wife, and a devoted christian. She’s got a beautiful family and a beautiful lifestyle. My parents always get annoyed with me when I say I want to be just like her. They say I should be my own person and I don’t have to be just like her, but she lives the life I’ve always wanted and dreamed of having. One day, I hope to have my own children to raise and shower with the love and support that I received growing up. As a female, it is very important that I serve as a role model for my future children and future students. It is so important for my young female students to understand what a big impact they could have on today’s world. There are so many female role models that I look up to, and it’s important to keep the trend going. I look up to my mom, sisters, aunts, cousins, and famous people as well. There’s people out there, such as Tina Tchen, that work to inspire others. Tina Tchen is the Former Executive Director of The White House Council on Women and Girls and she works hard to fight for gender equality every day. She strives to make the government reflect the population. Another important woman is Elizabeth Warren. Ellevate Network states, “Elizabeth Warren, the first female senator of Massachusetts, has been making waves in the media. Her strong beliefs in affordable and accessible education as well as gender equality have led her to be the voice of the future. Senator Warren is a big proponent of bringing young people into the political conversation and fighting for legislation that often gets overlooked. Her dedication to the community and determination to make change gives us serious confidence that women’s voices will be heard” (‘Female Role Models’). 

Environmental Data states, “Socio-economic development is the process of social and economic development in a society. Socio-economic development is measured with indicators, such as GDP, life expectancy, literacy and levels of employment” (Socio Economic Development’). Women’s economic empowerment is very important for development. UN Women states, “Investing in women’s economic empowerment sets a direct path towards gender equality, poverty eradication and inclusive economic growth. Women make enormous contributions to economies, whether in businesses, on farms, as entrepreneurs or employees, or by doing unpaid care work at home” (‘Economic Empowerment’). Working towards economic empowerment helps us get closer to gender equality. 

As a female in today’s society, I feel my obligations are to have a impressional career, become a role model for today’s children, and play a key role in the socio-economic development of the community. Everyone has their own obligations within their community that they must follow. As a woman, I have to be the best version of myself since I will have many people looking up to me. Like Ralph Waldo Emerson said in Self- Reliance, “Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another you have only an extemporaneous half possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” Being a role model for my future students and children is a very important aspect of my life. Emerson also said, “I appeal from your customs. I must be myself. I cannot break myself any longer for you, or you. If you can love me for what I am, we shall be happier. If you cannot, I will still seek to deserve that you should. I must be myself. I will not hide my tastes or aversions. I will so trust that what is deep is holy, that I will do strongly before the sun and moon whatever only rejoices me and the heart appoints. If you are noble, I will love you; if you are not, I will not hurt you and myself by hypocritical attentions” (Self-Reliance). In conclusion, my future is very important to me and the people around me. It not only affects my future life, but also the future lives of others. Women are very important in everyday society. My life is important to everyone around me. Like Emerson says, “My life is for itself and not for a spectacle. I much prefer that it should be of a lower strain, so it be genuine and equal, than that it should be glittering and unsteady. I wish it to be sound and sweet, and not to need dieting and bleeding” (Self-Reliance). My race has nothing to do with my obligations in my community. My obligations are set in place because of my age and gender.

Works Cited

“Examples of Privilege.” Examples of Privilege | North Shore Community College. Web.

“Female Role Models: Changing The World By Telling Their Stories.” Ellevate. Ellevate, 27 Mar. 2018. Web. 22 Mar. 2021.

Redkar, Nikita. “7 Reasons People Argue That Female Privilege Exists – And Why They’re Mistaken.” Everyday Feminism. 13 Aug. 2020. Web. 22 Mar. 2021.

“The Impact of Teachers: A Story of Indelible Memories and Self-Esteem.” The Impact of Teachers: A Story of Indelible Memories and Self-Esteem | LD Topics | LD OnLine. Web. 22 Mar. 2021.

“What We Do: Economic Empowerment.” UN Women. Web. 22 Mar. 2021.

Megan Russell

Winthrop '24

19 years old, Mental Health Advocate, future educator!