I Am Catholic and I Am Pro-Life

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Growing up in a Catholic family taught me a lot. Throughout my childhood, it was stressed that there is one God — He is the father, the son, and the Holy Spirit. The devout Catholics also believe that marriage was meant to be between one man and one woman. Out of all of the lessons that I learned in church growing up, the thing that stuck with me the most was the Catholic Church’s views on abortion.

Catholics are pro-life. For those of you who don’t know what this means, pro-life is simply a way of saying that we do not believe in abortions. We are firm believers that no matter the circumstances, a woman should never abort her baby.

I understand that some of you might think that I am crazy for believing this.

You might believe that women should have the choice of whether or not to terminate their pregnancy, and I understand where you are coming from — I promise I do. I know that there are some extreme circumstances that can occur and a woman might not want to have her baby. However, I can tell you from a personal experience that my own family went through, there is no reason to terminate your pregnancy because you are scared, because you’re not ready to be a mom, or simply because you just don’t want to be a mom.

When I was 2 years old, my mom was pregnant with my little brother. Pretty late into her pregnancy the doctors thought that my brother might have Down syndrome. They then proceeded to tell my mom that she had some thinking to do, implying that because my brother might not be “normal” he should not be born.  Now here we are, almost 18 years later and my brother is a healthy high school senior, getting ready to graduate. Had my mom listened to the doctors, I wouldn’t have one of the biggest blessings in my life.

I am pro-life partially because of the situation that my family went through with my brother but also because I believe that getting an abortion is taking a life. 

From the moment the sperm fertilizes the egg and the embryo forms, a child is born. They are not in the outside world yet, but they are still human beings. As a mother, it is your job to protect that child and to make sure that they get the proper nutrients that they need while in your womb. Terminating your pregnancy is not taking care of your child, it is killing them and once you do that, you have to live with that guilt for the rest of your life.

If you don’t want to be a mom, or you are raped and get pregnant, or you don’t think that you can afford to raise a child, there are other ways to handle it… there are always other ways. Don’t terminate your pregnancy, don’t kill an innocent child. Put the child up for adoption; give them a home with a family who will really love them. After all, they are innocent in whatever situation you are in.

Give them the chance at a happy life.  

Follow Alli on Instagram!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.