How You Can Help Syria *NOW*

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Very early yesterday morning, the worst chemical attack in years was carried out in Syria. At least 70 are dead and hundreds more wounded. If you haven’t read much on it or seen videos, click here for details of the devastating attack.

The images and stories are truly heartbreaking, and many have lost dozens of family members. Abdul Hamid Yousse lost about 25 family members in the attack, including his wife and nine-month-old twin children. For me, stories like these stir a variety of emotions–anger, heartbreak, and a feeling of slight helplessness in that I am unsure of how to help. I imagine there are a number of others feeling the same way, especially since our president is too busy “subtly” changing his position on things to line up with whatever he feels is most popular and placing blame rather than figuring out how to help.

Luckily, I have come across ways anyone can help these poor people of Syria right now. Here is the compiled list:

1. Find out if there are any refugees resettled in your community.

If so volunteer to help them by doing things like driving them, donating clothing and food to them, donating hygenic supplies, giving them English lessons, etc.

2. Contact your lawmakers and encourage them to get involved to help.

You can write, call, email, etc.

3. Donate to a charity.

There are countless wonderful organizations you can donate to, such as International Rescue Committee, GlobalGiving, American Refugee Committee, CARE, Islamic Relief USA, MSF International, Hand in Hand 4 Syria, and IRIS.

4. Educate others on the crisis.

Share current articles, discuss your opinions, check out videos. Do anything you can to help get the word out there that there is a problem, but we can help.

Bottom line, get out there and help.

Show that our world is still kind, and there is still good in humanity. We have a moral obligation to help our Syrian friends in need.

Image credits: CNN 

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.