This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As we all know, school is back in season, ladies! College is contentious. Living in such a hustle culture world, it can be hard not to want to do it all. As a full-time college student, part-time worker, and being in three organizations, your day can be jam-packed. I’m just here to tell you how you can do it all and still take care of yourself. 

Knowing how to turn off your switch after an exhausting day is so crucial. I genuinely believe that my night routine has helped my mental health and has led me to not go in the “hustle culture” mindset. Leaving my room at 10:00 am and not coming back until 8:00 pm can be hard to take care of yourself and not just want to toss your bookbag on the ground. I want to provide you all with some ways I unwind after a long day.

1. When getting back to my room after a long-drawn-out day, the first thing you want to do is unpack my backpack!
  • Unpacking your backpack is vital because it puts your body in the mindset that the day is over and gives you the illusion that you’ve accomplished something (which you have).

2. Turn on your fairy or LED lights.

• This step to unwinding is so essential! Warmer toned lights are aesthetically pleasing, but it helps your eyes and body promote relaxation time. 

3.  Night showers hit differently. 

• I’m such a night shower person; I feel like showering in the evening and getting into your bed clean and such a factor for a successful night. Showering is melatonin for me at night but serotonin in the morning. Your body naturally cools down at night, so it only fits for you to listen to your body. 

4. Skin Care 

• Taking care of my skin is an integral part of my confidence, so I feel you can make it a priority even after a long day you’re putting yourself first; having a self prioritizing mindset is essential when unwinding every night. Even if your self-care routine is washing your face and putting on moisturizer, then let that be it; make those two steps your own. 

5. Reading or Watching lite content. 

• This step is a massive part of my unwinding process because quiet time alone is part of my self-care. By lite content, I mean things that will make you super anxious and don’t require much thought. As much as I want to tell you guys to read a book before bed… I do not. I enjoy catching up on my favorite influencers until I fall asleep. 

6. A good nights rest 

• I’m not going to say getting a good night’s sleep is accurate every day for college students, but those nights that you can benefit you for a successful next day. 

Taking care of yourself should be the primary principle while in college or life in general. After having classes all day, take these steps and be a successful gal on the go! Unwinding is a process you should take to show yourself some love and appreciation because you deserve it!

Hello, my name is Jasmine Williams. I am currently a sophomore and I'm majoring in Mass Communication. Other than being on the HC team, I also have a blog and YouTube channel. I'm a Marketing Intern to Winthrop Dining and on the promotions team for Winthrop DSU! I enjoy listening to podcasts and drinking iced coffee.