This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Something that has been really hard to do lately is believing in myself. No matter how many people or things I see, believing in myself has been the hardest to do. It’s the mental struggle that constantly gets me. It has been really hard to believe in myself but there are steps that I am taking to regain my confidence again. 

Saying Affirmations 

Even if I have trouble believing in affirmations, they can help give you the confidence that you need to get through the day and even through the hour. This has been extremely helpful before walking into an audition, interview, or presentation. This momentary confidence is what can help you fake it through the nerve racking process. Doing this has personally helped me when getting ready to go into any of these situations and I am glad that I say them. It also helps with building confidence in the long run because over time you start to believe your affirmations and know them to be true. This is really important in regaining my confidence. 

Giving Yourself Little Pep Talks 

This might seem silly but giving yourself little pep talks like words of affirmations can help significantly in the long run of helping your confidence. Being able to talk a little pep talk and love myself and give myself some self love, helps tremendously before a stressful situation. These pep talks are my own act of self confidence and self love. It really helps in the long run. This has helped me tremendously. I can get the confidence boost that I need and feel better about myself and start to regain my confidence. 

Trust Yourself 

Learning to feel confident in yourself comes from starting to trust yourself again. Honestly, if you can trust yourself to study and do well on a test then the confidence that you feel when you pass your test is what lets you build up the trust in yourself and rebuild your confidence. I have been learning to trust myself and the growth of my voice. This has been really hard, but learning to trust myself and my body to help my voice has helped me and my confidence. This has been really influential in being able to rebuild my confidence. 

Saying “I Love You” to yourself 

Confidence comes from the love that you have for yourself and when you don’t love yourself, it can be really hard to be confident. Saying I love you to yourself everyday can not only help, but help you heal from a lot of things. This can be healing to hear because at the end of the day you are there for yourself and loving yourself is extremely important. Loving yourself flaws and mistakes in all helps your confidence in so many ways and has been the way that I have also used to regain my confidence. Learning that it is okay and amazing to love yourself is truly awesome and one of the best ways that I have found healing. 

Megan Cipolla

Winthrop '24

My name is Megan Cipolla and I am a sophomore at Winthrop University. I like to go hiking in my free time and hanging out with my friends.