Career > Money

How to Make a Starbucks Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai at Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s me, Hi I’m the problem it’s me, is what my wallet wishes it could sing to me as I place yet another Starbucks pick-up order. The order is always the same for me this time of year, a grande Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai.

As a self-proclaimed chai enthusiast, I am thoroughly obsessed with Starbucks’s fall menu, specifically their Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai. The pumpkin cold foam is heavenly and worth every penny in my opinion. The sad thing is, I have no pennies left to give. My favorite drink is a lofty $6.27 after taxes at my local Starbucks. That is a wild price to pay for a drink that I basically chug in a singular minute (I am not a sipper). After examining my bank account, I decided there had to be a way to make this delicious drink at home for cheaper. After hours of research on the internet and several tiktoks watched I have finally perfected my at home recipe for Starbucks’s Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai.

What You Came for – The recipe

What you need: Chai concentrate, your chosen milk/alternative, heavy whipping cream, pumpkin sauce or puree, frother or handheld mixer, pumpkin pie spice

Find your favorite Chai concentrate

I have been using the TAZO skinny chai concentrate, but I recently tried Oregon Chai brand concentrate. I have heard that Trader Joe’s has a good chai concentrate as well. Any concentrate will do, just make sure it’s cold!

Select your milk

I personally use almond milk, but I know that isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. You can use any type of milk you want.

Prep your cold foam

Cold Foam is really simple to make as long as you have a frother or handheld mixer.

How to make cold foam (by measuring with your heart): Add heavy whipping cream to a small cup with a dash of vanilla syrup (I like Torani) and froth until your desired thickness.

How to make pumpkin cold foam (by measuring with your heart): Add heavy whipping cream to a small cup with a dash of pumpkin pie syrup or pumpkin puree and froth until your desired thickness. Top with or mix in pumpkin pie spice.

Tip: Make the cold foam before you mix the drink and store it in the fridge!

Create your drink!

The drink is a 1 to 1 ratio, so equal parts chai and equal parts milk. If you like your chai stronger add less milk to your drink. If you find your chai tasting too bitter a helpful hint is to add a dash of vanilla coffee creamer to your drink. Once you have taste-tested your drink and mixed it together, top with your cold foam and pumpkin pie spice!

From one chai enthusiast to another, enjoy your drink!

I'm Camryn and I'm a senior Special Education major from Lexington, South Carolina! I love chai lattes and enjoy all things fall.