This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Hygiene is so important, yet so hard to keep up with in college–especially vaginal health. I want to give you ladies a few tips that you might not already know or need a refresh to take of yourself even during this crazy period (haha) in our life.

1. Use WATER only 

Let’s get a bit personal for this first tip. Using water to clean sensitively is essential to keeping your hygiene up to par. It’s better to clean the outside of your area and avoid going inside, especially not with soap or scented products. Water is such a clean resource to use, plus your body cleans itself, so it’s important to remember that when thinking about using a product other than water. 

1. No Summer Eve’s or similar products

Products like Summer’s Eve have a lot of dyes and or perfumes that are harmful to your balance and vulva. These perfumes cause you to have a strong body smell, reactions, and irritations. Even the products that say “nice smell or perfume) free” still have a lot of harmful chemicals in them, like oils.

1. Try PH-balanced feminine products only

Products like HoneyPot are a great example of this. I recently started using products to clean down there, and I wanted to ensure that what I was using was clean. During the summer, I saw HoneyPot on going viral on TikTok, and I wanted to check it out. The HoneyPot company website says, “The formulas for our feminine cleansing products are powered by herbs, made by humans with vaginas, and designed to fit a variety of needs.” HoneyPot offers wipes, regular wash, menstrual cups, pads, tampons, and many other products! PH-balanced products help your body stay naturally clean. 

1. Wipe front to back 

I feel like this is a no-brainer, but at the same time, many people were brought up differently. From Verywell Health, “Wiping from front to back is especially important for women as this prevents fecal matter from entering the urethra (the opening where urine exits the body). Also, some bacteria from the back can throw off your PH- balance if interfered with.”

1. Cotton underwear 

Cotton underwear is such an important hygiene tip, because It absorbs extra moisture and removes build-up heat from the area. It is vital to wear cotton underwear throughout the summer or during high humidity. This is especially important because it prevents yeast infections, itching, and odors. Also, it is imperative not to wear tight underwear or jeans on a day-to-day basis. 

1. Pee before and after 

Peeing before and after sex can be beneficial because it flushes out any unwanted bacteria so it can enter in any way. Peeing both times is also essential because it helps bring your comfort and release tension.

1. Lots of Water

As we all know, everyone says water is good for you and you NEED it, but we never talk about why–especially in your downstairs area. Water helps hydrate your skin and helps to keep it from getting dry, just like the skin on your face! 

1. See a gynecologist 

I would say to see a gynecologist if you’re actively having sex and have concerns or questions about your body. I think it’s vital to see professionals that know what they are talking about; just like you see a dentist when you have a cavity, it should be the same for your vaginal health.

1. Don’t shave too often. 

FIRST, you do not have to shave, ladies or gentlemen. Hair is a natural thing, and don’t ever let society tell you that the hair on YOUR body needs to be shaved. Shaving is something that I started in high school because it made me feel more confident. I would recommend waxing over anything, but sometimes shaving is just more quick and convenient. When shaving, you want to be sure to space out your shaving schedule. Shaving not only cuts your hair, but it takes a layer of skin cells with it every time you run the blade across your skin. So it’s best to space out your shaving at least by a day or two. 

1. You are what you eat. 

The easiest way to keep up your hygiene in college is to eat good food! Cranberries and cranberry juice can be beneficial in preventing UTIs in women with recurrent or recent UTI issues.

Probiotic-rich foods like yogurt and such can help ward off infections and prevent yeast infections because they contain calcium which is so good for you!

If you’re reading this and you’re like, “…” let me make one thing clear: If you don’t do any of this, then it’s fine! These are tips that I believe to be important. Practicing safe sex, washing correctly, and drinking water will only benefit your health and hygeine in the long run.

Hello, my name is Jasmine Williams. I am currently a sophomore and I'm majoring in Mass Communication. Other than being on the HC team, I also have a blog and YouTube channel. I'm a Marketing Intern to Winthrop Dining and on the promotions team for Winthrop DSU! I enjoy listening to podcasts and drinking iced coffee.