How To Build The PERFECT Skin Care Routine In Just 3 Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Creating the perfect skin care routine can be overwhelming! There are an endless amount of products to choose from, so how do you know which one is right for you? I am going to tell you how to create the PERFECT skin care routine in just 3 steps that I personally learned from cosmetology school and used as a professional cosmetologist. There are many other steps out there but if you just want a simple everyday skincare routine just follow these 3 simple steps.

Step #1: Cleanse

The first step in a skin care routine should be to cleanse, cleanse, cleanse! Cleansing your face removes excess dirt, oil, dead skin cells, and other harmful impurities. Skin should be cleansed daily using your favorite cleanser. Although the cleanser you use doesn’t necessarily matter, it is essential to avoid cleansers with harmful ingredients such as sulfates. Sulfates can strip the skin of its natural oils which results in dryness and irritated complexion. However, the best ingredients that are used in facial cleansers are retinol, salicylic acid, and vitamin C. I personally like CeraVe because of how light weight and gentle it is on my skin but there are so many other amazing cleansers out there too! Finding your favorite cleanser and consistently using it is the first most important step in creating the perfect skin care routine. When searching for a cleanser make sure to look at the ingredients. Remember to avoid cleansers with parabens and sulfates such as Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Also look for ingredients that are helpful for your skin type whether it be oily, dry, or combination.

When cleansing your skin make sure to wash your hands before applying the product. We are constantly touching different things without knowing the amount of germs it has such as door knobs, elevator buttons, gas station pumps, kiosks, pets, money and more. Therefore, washing your hands is extremely important to avoid spreading these germs to your face. After washing your hands you want to use a clean wash cloth or your hands. I like to use baby wash cloths because of how soft and gentle they are for my skin. Then you want to use hot water and apply it to your skin preferably with a wash cloth but you can also use your hands. The heat helps to open up the pores making it easier for the skin to absorb the cleanser. Just make sure you close your pores using a cold wash cloth after applying products during step 2.

Step #2: Treat

The second skin care tip is to treat your skin. Treating the skin means using serums, toners, face masks, exfoliants, and any other products that are beneficial to your skin. Incorporating one or many of these products into your everyday skincare routine can change the overall health, appearance, and structure of your skin. Remember, to always layer your products from thinnest to thickest with the thickest product being applied last so that the skin can fully absorb each product. Applying products in this order ensures that you get the most out of your skin care routine. If you are new to skin care I recommend gradually incorporating some of these products into your skin care routine. For example, after cleansing I tone, apply serum, and eye cream. If I feel like my skin has been dry and flakey then I will exfoliate. I like to listen to my skins needs to determine what I should apply.

• Exfoliant – removes dead skin cells, should only be used 2-3 times depending on skin type
  • Face Mask – traps moisture/ingredients in the skin to create hydration
  • Toner- removes any extra impurities and can improve appearance and elasticity
  • Serum – can heal, repair, and protect skin
  • Eye Cream – moisturizes eye area and delays aging by reducing fine lines and wrinkles

Be cautious with the products you use when you treat your skin. Make sure to check the ingredients, look at reviews, and you can even get a sample to try it before you buy it. It is also important to remember that every skin type is different meaning each skin type reacts differently to different products. Some skin types only need cleanser and moisturizer while other skin types need more.

Step #3: Moisturize

Moisturizing is so important for your skin. Moisturizer should be applied twice a day: in the morning and at night. Moisturizing overall reduces any skin problems especially in the long term as the skin cells mature. Using a moisturizer with a SPF of at least 30+ can also help to protect your skin against damage from UV rays. Remember all skin types need moisturizer even if the skin type is oily prone. Moisturizers seal in water and hydrate the skin creating a beautiful glow. After moisturizer some other optional products to use are retinol and face oil depending on the skin type and preferences.

Remember, when doing your skin care make sure to always review the ingredients and do your research. Knowing your skin and giving it what it wants as well as cleansing and moisturizing is the KEY to the PERFECT skin care routine. Cleanse, Treat, Moisturize and Repeat! Adjust step #2 and #3 accordingly to your skin type and products. It is also okay to switch up your skincare products occasionally, and try new products. Make it fun, and most importantly, make it a routine.

Hello my name is Marranda Coronilla. I am a licensed cosmetologist pursing my bachelors degree in Business Admin with a concentration in marketing and a minor in visual design. I love to share my insights and advice as a cosmetologist on beauty related topics.