matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How a Third World Country Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

In eighth grade, you couldn’t catch me dead in another country, much less a third world country. 

I had absolutely ZERO desire to travel anywhere that was any of these things: 

Dirty 

Without electricity 

Without clean water 

Without internet. 

I was a classic homebody. I liked my home state, a couple surrounding states, and that was it. I was content to stay where I was. But, out of a feeling of obligation, I found myself committed to going to Honduras for a week during my freshman year of high school. I was DREADING it. I had never been on a trip like it before much less a place like it before so I wasn’t sure what to expect beside a lot of dirt and dust. 

Y’ALL. 

That trip changed the entire course of my life. 

Not only did I fall in love with the beauty of Honduras and its people but I figured out what I wanted be when I grew up. The major I am studying is because of Honduras. The internship I am pursuing is because of Honduras. My six weeks spent in Argentina is because of Honduras. My eight weeks spent in Puerto Rico is because of Honduras. 

Now let me explain why…

Yes it was dirty. No there wasn’t clean water. And no there wasn’t reliable internet or electricity. But what there was was a beautiful landscape. Some of the most caring people I’ve ever met. And a people who are so in need of their stories being told. I was in Honduras on a medical mission trip. No, I am not studying to be a nurse or a doctor or anything remotely medical. My role on the team ended up being as the photographer/media creator. I floated around and sat in on different areas of work and heard different peoples stories and captured them with my lens. I did this four years in a row. Four. Years. FOUR YEARS. I went from never wanting to step foot in dirt to longing to be back in it. Over the course of those four years I developed a passion for capturing and telling stories of people in other cultures and nations. That passion is quickly turning into a bachelor’s degree in mass communication with a minor in photography. 

Honduras is completely and utterly responsible for the path that my life has taken. I am forever thankful for the beautiful, neglected, loving Honduras. 

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.” -Matthew 28:19

Sarah Summerall

Winthrop '21

Currently a junior mass communications major and photography minor at Winthrop University, Sarah strives to work for a ministry or non-profit in the future. She loves to travel and has actually lived in Argentina for two months as well as Puerto Rico!! She loves movies, traveling, reading, eating tacos, and planning a wedding with her fiancé! She was born in Georgia but has spent the majority of her life in South Carolina! Even though she lives in SC she will pull for the Tennessee Volunteers any day of the week (Go Vols!). To follow her on instagram, you can follow her at sarahj_summerall !!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.