How Registering For Classes Is Like The Hunger Games

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Class registration is, without a doubt, the most stressful part of the semester. We spend hours looking up professor ratings, checking different classes, and making and perfecting our schedules–only to find out that we may not even get what we originally planned on. Because of this, there is no better way to explain Winthrop’s class sign up system than through the Hunger Games.

So here is how registration competition goes! 

Here we are waiting what seems like forever to be advised.

We have our schedules made aiming at our targets, ready to go. Nothing is going to get in our way of our perfectly made schedule!

Now we are anxiously waiting around for our assigned day and time to come. This is where all the stress starts to set in. Thoughts: This sucks. Why can’t I just sign up now? Why do I have to wait so long? The stress is real. I just want my classes already.  

It’s almost time to register, and already we have refreshed the page at least 100 times to see if the sign up page is opened early. We look around at our roomies to make sure theirs hasn’t opened yet, and have our hands on our keyboards, shaking and ready to fight for the strongest Wi-Fi signal to get the schedules we want.

THE TIME SLOT IS OPEN! Everyone is racing to type as fast as they can to get the classes they need. Thoughts: Please let me get these classes. Please don’t be full yet. I hope the Wi-Fi doesn’t crash.

You get your schedule and jump up in excitement screaming and celebrating! You feel like a million bucks, and even feel a little bit like the girl on fire!  

After all the excitement you look over and realize your friend didn’t get their schedule so you go and attempt to help them…but tbh they basically volunteered themselves as tribute when they logged on too late.

Class signups are the worst part of a college student’s semester. They are extremely stressful and can sometimes bring out your inner Katniss. Don’t forget to double check the date and time you can sign up and have your schedule ready!

Good luck with sign ups and may the odds be ever in your favor. Also don’t forget Part 2 Mockingjay comes out November 20th! 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy