How to Know If You’re Emotionally Attached to a Netflix Series

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

We’ve all been there. We’ve stayed up late, we’ve neglected our responsibilities and we’ve cancelled our plans all to watch the show we can’t take our eyes off of. Here’s how you know if you’re emotionally attached to a Netflix series! 

At the beginning of the series you’re just getting a feel of things, learning about the series and the characters.

Then, after you start getting really into it, you literally want to watch it constantly, even if it means neglecting all other activities…like sleep.

When one of your favorite character’s experience something, you experience it also. 

Like for example, on One Tree Hill when Brooke finds out she can’t have children, your heart breaks right along with hers.

One of the worst feelings is when you’re in love with a Netflix series, only to realize you have to wait forever for the next season to come out. 

For instance, Orange is the New Black is released at the beginning of each summer. That is a whole year we are stuck without knowing what is going on at the Litchfield Penitentiary, not to mention the fact that one season can easily be finished in a week. 

After watching a series you automatically assume you are qualified in certain situations–which in reality you’re not.

Am I the only one who could perform brain surgery like Dr. McSteamy? Or find a suspect by searching all records on the computer? I mean I could probably find my coworker’s ex-boyfriend’s aunt who went to China in 2004, but I am by no means Penelope Garcia from Criminal Minds. 

When one of the characters dies, you literally feel like you have lost a loved one.

*Cough, cough* Shonda Rhimes *cough, cough* has made me experience grief a countless amount of times. For instance, when Danny Duckett dies on Grey’s Anatomy my heart literally split into two pieces.

You make friends by talking solely about the series. 

If you have a room of thirty girls and someone brings up Gossip Girl, there will be at least ten new friendships discussing whether they are the Serena or Blaire of the friend group and how dreamy Chuck Bass is.

When one of your friends says they do not like your favorite series you start to question your friendship…

….as well as their intelligence.

Lastly, when you finish watching the Netflix series you literally exeprience the ultimate confusion:

What are you supposed to do next with your life?

After writing this article I have realized how much time I invest (and possibly waste) watching Netflix. Am I ashamed of my binge-watching habits? Not at all, I mean what else would I spend my time doing? Studying?

Meet Sierra, a junior digital information design major.  She is forever wishing she could marry Justin Timberlake, travel the world and be Khloe Kardashian's bff. But until that day comes you can find her obsessing over her dog, being extremely awkward, or stressing over sommething she waited too long to start.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.