This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Hocus Pocus 2, the highly anticipated sequel to the 1993 original was released on Disney+ on September 30th. As Hocus Pocus is one of the most renown Halloween movies to date, fans have been eager to see what happens in the follow-up film. In other words, this magically witchy film has a lot to live up to. The question everyone is wanting answered is, “Does it live up to the hype?”

I, for one, watched this movie and was very skeptical because of what I had heard. While hearing both good and bad things, I knew I needed to be the one to judge it for myself. So, was it good or bad? I would classify it into the good category. While a few things throughout the movie were bizarre and odd, overall, it was a great addition to the Hocus Pocus series.

Returning Cast Members

The Sanderson sisters are back for Part 2! I was surprised to see all three of the original witches back playing their roles. Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy all played Winnifred, Sarah, and Mary Sanderson and did an exceptional job. They hadn’t even looked any older than they did in the 1993 version which stunned me. Even the original Billy Butcherson actor, Doug Jones, made a comeback in the 2022 film. So, did they only make a sequel because these famous roles were played by the same actors? We don’t know. But I think that just about anyone could agree with me when I say that Hocus Pocus would not have been what it was had it not been for these famed actors.

New Storyline, Familiar Narrative

Although the sequel has a bit of a twisting of the original plot, it can be safe to say that the original story is still noticeable, just revamped if you will. The new story follows the lives of three friends who are at a rocky point in their friendship. The aspect of magic is first seen in a “magic shop” which is home to the iconic Sanderson sisters. This new storyline works with this movie as these teens are seen as curious and somewhat mysterious. They have an interest with Halloween and magic and well, we know what happens when those two things collide. WITCHES!

Bizarre Characteristics

Throughout the movie, there are many things that you wouldn’t expect to see in Hocus Pocus. For instance, there are a few important scenes that take place at Walgreens. Yes, I said Walgreens. Another bizarre scene from the movie was at the very beginning when the Sanderson sisters were just little girls. It was great to get a glimpse into their pasts and how they developed into the most iconic witches of all time. Viewers also get to see the human version of Billy Butcherson, which was such a thrill! One thing I wish they would have brought more attention to was Thackery Binx. Thackery Binx was a major character in the original film, and I don’t think they brought him to light as much as they should have.

Conclusion

In conclusion, while I thought Hocus Pocus 2 was a decent sequel that was given to us this Halloween, I think I can still say that the original is too tough to beat. It has already been hinted that perhaps a Hocus Pocus 3 will emerge within the next few years. As this new version is watched by fans across the world, no sequel or future version will ever top the one and only Hocus Pocus.

Emily Weiland

Winthrop '24

Hey! My name is Emily Weiland and I am a sophomore Business Administration major.