This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Chloe Xandria began to gain a tiktok following after a video posted in December of 2020 showing her body before and after almost a year of the pandemic. Despite gaining lots of unnecessary hate for the video, including death threats, Xandria chose to use her platform and message for good and began to make body-positive tiktok videos with the aim of helping guys and girls of all ages love their body no matter how much it may change. She now has over 336 thousand followers on tiktok and is one of my personal favourite influencers on the platform. 

One of the main things Xandria does is show off her amazing sense of style in videos aimed to teach girls how to dress their curves. She buys brands that many girls would swoon over and shows how each piece would look on a curvier frame, breaking the stigma of only seeing skinny models in these outfits. She also creates videos that help girls learn how to style basic staple pieces that most girls have in their closet. Seeing her videos of her showing how curvy girls can have great style and look amazing for any occasion was beyond inspiring to me. Growing up and only seeing size 0 models has had a beyond negative affect on my mental health, and watching Xandrias videos inspire me to believe that no matter how you change and grow, you can still look good. Another message she carries is that you shouldn’t try and change to fit into clothes, just change the clothes!!

mental health signs on a fence
Photo by Dan Meyers from Unsplash

Xandria is also a queen at dealing with hate comments and bullies, by posting videos responding to her hate comments in respectful ways that make a statement, including a series in which she makes outfits based on her hate comments. She is a prime example of how to deal with hate in a respectful way that makes an impact. She also shows and gives tips on how to not let these comments get under your skin, which is very helpful as a young female. Watching her effortlessly shut down haters is beyond inspiring, especially as someone who has had people make comments based on my weight, as it inspires me to play off the comments and live my life anyways. 

I highly recommend Chloe Xandria to any girl or guy who has ever felt even an ounce of insecurity about their body. She fights on a daily basis for more representation of different body types and to end the stigma around weight gain. As someone who has personally gained a “quarantine 15”, I am beyond happy she came up on my For You page, as seeing her daily reminders that you are beautiful just the way you are is enough to make any one think twice before having a negative thought about themselves. Watching her turn a time in which she received serious hate into a major platform to helpy guys and girls alike love their bodies is truly a major motivator that no matter what you look like, you can succeed and go on to inspire thousands yourself.

Breanna Gayle is a senior Special Education major here at Winthrop as well as an exec member for Chi Omega and Circle of Sisterhood!! She is also a member of the Council for Exceptional Children. She can usually be seen hanging around campus with friends or getting an iced coffee. She is very excited and honored to be a part of the Her Campus crew!!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.