Career

Her Story: Getting Accepted to The Disney College Program

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

On September 25th at 9:00 in the morning, only a few minutes after waking up, I applied to the Disney College Program.

I didn’t know I would be doing this, it was a very spontaneous decision. I had told myself previously that I wouldn’t be applying because I had too many obligations at Winthrop that I couldn’t abandon. But that morning I woke up and I knew how disappointed I would be in myself if I didn’t at least try.

I had been dreaming about doing the Disney College Program for years. So, I created an account, filled out the application, and clicked submit, all within 20 minutes of waking up.

Not even five minutes after clicking submit, I received an update! I had been chosen for a web-based interview!

I freaked out! I had decided I wasn’t going to tell anyone I applied because I didn’t want to alarm anyone or get my family’s hopes up. However, there was one person I could tell, one of my sisters and best friends, Callie, who had gotten accepted to the DCP a few weeks before. I was a mess and needed her advice. I waited until 12 pm, when I could sit down in the library and focus, and completed the WBI.

It was fairly simple, just a basic personality test, asking questions to determine how outgoing I am and how I would work well with others, it only took me 20 minutes to complete. Clicking submit was terrifying, what if they decided I didn’t have the right personality to work at Disney? Luckily, that was not the case.

At 12:28 I got the email telling me to schedule my phone interview!!!

I logged on and schedule it for the next morning and then got to researching. I watched youtube video after youtube video and read blog after blog. I made notes about what I would possibly have to talk about and questions that I wanted to ask. No matter how much I prepared, I was still insanely anxious. I had never done a phone interview before, let alone with a huge company for a competitive program.

When the time finally came, at 11:00 am, I received a call. I answered the phone to Beth. She asked me about why I wanted to do the DCP (I grew up going to disney every other year and recently about once every two months, my family was disney obsessed and we are annual passholders), how my previous experiences at disney would help me, how my previous job experiences would help me (I was a camp counselor), and a few other miscellaneous questions. It was terrifying. After we hung up I was a wreck. I felt I had done terrible, that I had rambled too much, and wait… did I repeat her name enough?? I was told it could take anywhere from a couple days to over a month to find out whether or not I was accepted. The waiting games began.

Exactly a week from submitting my application later, at 10:31 pm, I received my decision. I had got accepted!

I would be joining the DCP as a Quick Service Food & Beverage cast member! I was ecstatic! The next day, I talked to my parents about it, decided to accept the offer, and paid my program fees. I was officially set to join the DCP on January 14th.

The decision to accept the offer was hard and I still find myself doubting my decision.

I’m going to miss my sorority sisters, friends, and family so dang much (especially my pup). But, I know it was the right choice and once I get down there I’ll love it. Until then I’ll spend as much time as I can with all of my favorite people and create great memories with them. Besides, this gives them an excuse to come to Disney now (to visit me)!

Follow your dreams, Collegiettes, and don’t let anything hold you back!

Isabelle Burgin

Winthrop '21

Isabelle Burgin is a sophomore Early Childhood Education major and a super proud dog mom of a giant golden fluff ball, Tate "Tater Tot". In her free time you will likely find Isabelle at Target, online shopping, or hanging with her friends. Follow her on instagram: @isabelleburgin.