timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It was like looking at a broken mirror, and knowing I should grab some glue and attempt to put the pieces back together. Instead I looked at it and wanted to keep smashing the pieces into smaller ones, until they were gone.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I can openly say I have been a broken mirror too many times in my life. Through childhood, awkward middle school days, and of course, high school. However, I never felt more broken than I did getting out of my first relationship.

I had just come to college, and I was the most naive seventeen year old. I had those innocent brown eyes, the ones who saw the good in everything that moved. I also had no self-confidence, no self-worth, and after getting into a relationship with no self-confidence, I put all of my self-worth into it.

I gave myself that idea that my only role in life was to be a girlfriend, to please my partner, and that was my sole purpose. That when I learn the most valuable lesson in life, don’t ever give someone all of your worth.

I did that, and when my relationship was over, I gave so much, and I had nothing left. I ended up being a broken mirror. Not a bit cracked, or just at an unflattering angle. I was broken into sharp edges that were just a sore sight to see.

I had no idea who I was after my breakup or what I was worth. It was a rebirth, and I was starting all over. I was on this treasure hunt and the prize was finding my self-worth. Not the worth, everybody around saw in me, but what I saw in myself.

This search is hard. I use the word is, because it not something that is found and it’s over. It is a continuous cycle, and battle. It something that I have to search for every day of my life. 

The first thing I had to do in my journey was to learn to love who I am. Find the thing that I love about myself. I always looked for my friends, my partner, even strangers to tell me what good about myself, completely giving them that power. Along this journey I realized I am supposed to tell my story, who I am, and I am supposed to have that power. I am the power player in my life. We all are the power player in our stories. Everybody else is just a recurring character.

Finding things I loved about myself was hard. I couldn’t name one good quality about myself for the longest time, but I spent time searching for it. I started embracing my quirks instead of shaming them. My New York accent was one of them. I always try to hide it, or act like it’s not a part of me. Then one day, I just decided to love it, and stop caring if it sounded unusual. I loved it about myself, and that the opinion that matter the most.

I embraced what I enjoyed. That my biggest advice for anybody: find what you love, and roll with it. It is hard to be torn down if you’re enjoying the talent, hobby, or job that you have. I went back to reading poetry, something that gave me ease, something I lost along the way of losing myself.

The most important thing I did was standing up for myself. This one, I am not going to lie, I struggle with the most. It is so hard for me to stand up for myself. I always assume I am in the wrong, or I just flat out suck. The thing is, how can I expect people to treat me well, if I don’t treat myself that way? I can’t receive love if I don’t give myself love. I can’t expect self-worth if I am not giving myself self-worth.

I do things for me. I put myself first, take care of myself, and remove myself from of situations that are not helping me grow. I go to yoga once a week because that makes me happy. I am being my own best friend by taking care of myself, standing up for who I am, and not forgetting my needs.

I am struggling finding my worth, and feeling good enough. It the biggest battle I will struggle with. I understand it easy to give our power to someone else, and it’s not on purpose, it happens. It important though for our self-love to never stop giving up on ourselves.

We are broken mirrors at times, but we can look back and see beauty and strength, instead of sadness and despair. I will have scars from the damages, but they are repairable, it just takes time. You can too, Collegiettes. Just take the time.

“Negativity. It can only affect you if you’re on the same frequency. Vibrate higher.”  Hello Lovely Readers, thank you so much for reading my stories and giving me such positive energy to express my passions through my writing. My name is Jess and I am currently studying at Winthrop University as a Mass Communications Major with a minor in Psychology. I am driven to use my voice to share my personal experiences, and speak out for others. Fun facts, I am a yoga loving, spiritual, poetic, blunt, sassy, Scorpio and a very big feminist. I am all about fighting for equality, and loving each other. If you want to follow me on Instagram please do, at itsajess97. Thank you so much for reading my articles! ~Namaste 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.