Heart Broken Over the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Collegiettes, it’s that time of year!

Everyone is stupidly happy and shoving Christmas cheer down your throat. Now, don’t get me wrong, I am not a “Mr.Scrooge’ or “The Grinch.”  I actually love this time of year. Sitting at home with hot chocolate and binge watching Christmas movies. Umm, yes please!

However, sometimes when you’re life isn’t currently all yuletide carols and sugarplums it can be a little hard to get into the Christmas spirit.

My family has experienced a lot of loss this last year. I lost my uncle to suicide, seven months later I lost my grandmother, and then two months after that I lost my other grandmother.  It can be difficult for those who have lost to be in the highest of spirits this time of year.

It’s a little harder to seem so happy when all you can think about is the empty seats at the Christmas dinner table because they won’t be joining you this year.

It’s never easy to lose a loved one regardless of how or when it happens.

You will forever miss their presence. What I plan on doing this Christmas season is remember all the good memories and truly embrace the life that I was given and the friends and family that I am fortunate to have around. 

There is no easy way to cope with loss over the holidays whether it be a death, a breakup, a loss of a pet, or even a friendship loss. However, holding on to their memory and their energy and light in your heart is something that should be celebrated and embraced this time of year. It is a time to reflect and to enjoy what blessing you are surrounded by. As the new year approaches everyday going forward might not be easy, but there is something good to find in each and everyday. 

Collegiettes, if you’ve experienced a loss in your life and are finding it hard to get into the Christmas spirit, just know that eventually you will be able to heal and be happy again.

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.