Happiness in a New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

One of the worst feelings ever is wanting something so badly, but knowing you can’t have it.  Whether it’s a Range Rover or a guy you are deeply in love with who has no idea.  I’m constantly telling myself to work harder, study more, take all the opportunities I can, but I realize that being successful isn’t always what will make me happy.  Yeah, it’s great to accomplish things and make it to the top, but what happens when we get there?  What happens when that excitement of getting to the top is over?  But what happens when we get to the top and have no one to celebrate with?

We live in such a materialistic world and a world that is extremely selfish.  Often we do not value the relationships we have between one another.  Sometimes we seek things for ourselves and disregard others.  Our relationships with one another can teach us so much from sharing wisdom and experiences that can build us up to be stronger people so we are able to succeed in a healthy way.  When we become successful we need our friends, family, and significant other to be there for us to celebrate, but we also need them there for when the excitement is over. 

Sometimes I try to push myself to do more to distract myself from my lack of a love life, but it only makes me more upset because the one I want to be with isn’t around to see me succeed.  I’m so thankful for the support system I have through my family and friends.  I’m not saying that it’s impossible to function without someone to love, but I’m happy with the way my life is going and the things I’m doing so I wish I was able to have the one I love here to experience it all with me.  I’m also not saying that we shouldn’t try to be successful.  I think everyone should strive to be the best person they can be, but success solely will not make us truly happy, at least not in the long run.

So a challenge for this New Year is to live in the moment, be happy with who you are each and every day.  It is a fact that we will mess up and have hard times, but things will get better.  Accomplish what you need to accomplish for yourself, not anyone else, but make the relationships with family and friends important along the way.  Do what makes YOU happy.  This is a challenge we can start anytime, not just in a new year, and we can stick to it by always staying positive and taking steps towards becoming a better person.  Happy New Year!!

Staff Writer/Social Media TeamSenior mass communication major from Pawleys Island, South Carolina. In my spare time, you can find me at the local coffee shop writing. :)Instagram and Twitter @HannahLStrong 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.