Giving Up Negative Conversations for Lent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I have officially decided to remove myself from all negative conversation for Lent, the 40 day fast for Christians to devout their time in prayer and ultimately grow closer to God.

Most people give up sodas, social media, or whatever is a distraction for them. I, as I said, decided to stay away from negative conversations, and I chose to give this up for several reasons! 

Think back to the time where you were at your lowest. Remember those girls who judged you? The group of people who spread lies about you and talked about you when you left the room? Don’t you remember how much pain you went through? If you answered yes to any or all of those questions, then think about this: Why would you do that to someone else? Why would you make them feel the same, bad way you did?

That is the first reason why I’m no longer taking part in negative conversations.

We should lift each other up! What does tearing someone else down do for you? 

Women have to stick together. Speaking negatively about someone–especially in a distasteful manner–is not okay, and I’ve decided I don’t want to surround myself with the types of people who think that it is okay to bring someone down. More importantly, I don’t want to be that person.

More importantly, how am I exemplifying Christ by indulging in negative conversations? To love Jesus is to obey His commands and teachings.

Ephesians 4:29-32 says, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” 

Jesus also tells us to love each other.

In 1 Corinthians 13: 4-7 it says, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” 

Speaking negatively about others contradicts what God expects from those believing in Him.

If I have to stand before God and take account for all that I have done throughout my life, then I want Him to say, “Well done thy good and faithful servant.”

Here are ways to avoid negative conversation:

• Respond by saying, “I don’t feel comfortable speaking on her situation without her present.”

• End the conversation with, “Oh wow! Well, I hope that turns around for her.”

• Address it by saying, “Hey, that’s not fair at all to her.”

Think about the light you’re putting in the world by not supporting negativity. Get rid of that bad energy and focus on the good around you. Focus on the good in yourself.  Focus on being a fountain, not a drain.

So, who’s with me?

Spread good vibes, Collegiettes! 

Follow Rayana on Instagram! 

Rayana Briggs, native from Columbia, S.C., is obtaining her B.A. in Theatre: Musical Theatre at Winthrop University. She is receiving training as a singer, actress, dancer, performer, and technical crew member. In regards to her minor, Rayana chose Women's Studies to expand her understanding of feminist ideas and their roles/experiences throughout history and across the world. She also added Leadership as a minor to acquire skills such as: communicating effectively, working diligently with others, executing developed plans, and other various skill sets. Alongside those passions, Rayana has the platform to utilize these skills as an Orientation Leader, Ambassador, S.H.I.E.L.D. Mentor, and Her Campus Winthrop Writer. Overall, Rayana is a passionate young woman who cares about those around her. In doing so, she provides them with the proper resources when they are accessible. Upon graduation, Rayana wants to work with Student Affairs.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.