This Girl is on Fire…With or Without Make Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

One week ago on Sunday night, approximately 6.5 million people tuned in to watch the 2016 MTV Video Music Awards which took place at Madison Square Garden in New York.  As expected, many celebrities showed up dressed in their best attire, with their hair and makeup perfected. However, there was one celebrity who decided not to fit the mold this year. 

Alicia Keys arrived at the VMAs completely natural and barefaced, which has certainly caused quite a rift on social media. Alicia Keys was featured in a photoshoot back in June where the photographer asked to photograph her barefaced. At first she was hesitant but she then agreed to it. Since then, she is often spotted without her make up. When asked about it she said that it “made her feel free.” 

Some fans stated on Twitter that she looked beautiful, flawless and slayed everywhere she went. Other people disagreed stating that her “movement” was made up and imaginary. They also could not understand why people were calling her inspiring and a role model all because she didn’t wear makeup.

Personally, I loved the fact that she went natural to the VMA’s. Although people can’t seem to see the bigger picture, what Alicia Keys is doing is more about make up.  She wrote an essay on LennyLetter.com, stating “I don’t want to cover up anymore. Not my face, not my mind, not my soul, not my thoughts, not my dreams, not my struggles, not my emotional growth. Nothing.”

Alicia Keys made it clear that she no longer wants to hide anything, which people misinterpreted.  She then took to Twitter to let everyone know that just because she is not wearing makeup, does not mean she is anti-makeup. 

The most important aspect about this whole fiasco is do what makes you comfortable. If you want to wear makeup, then I say go for it. If you don’t want to wear makeup, then don’t. Whatever your choice may be make sure that you feel beautiful and confident. 

As Alicia Keys said, “Do You!”

Meet Sierra, a junior digital information design major.  She is forever wishing she could marry Justin Timberlake, travel the world and be Khloe Kardashian's bff. But until that day comes you can find her obsessing over her dog, being extremely awkward, or stressing over sommething she waited too long to start.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.