The Gilmore Girls Are Back and We Can’t Wait

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

A reunion show is FINALLY happening for one of the best shows of our generation. Netflix is bringing back Gilmore Girls!

Our favorite Stars Hollow family will be back with four 90-minute episodes written by the show’s original creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and her husband Dan Palladino.

The show will cover the four seasons in the four episodes. It’ll start in the winter and then move on to spring, summer and end with fall.

We will see Rory and Lorelai in the present day, 8 years after the show ended. How crazy is that?

In addition to Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham returning as the perfect mother/daughter duo, many other members of the original cast will also be returning.

Scott Patterson (Luke), Kelly Bishop (Emily), Sean Gunn (Kirk), Keiko Agena (Lane), Rose Abdoo (Gypsy), Liza Weil (Paris), Yanic Truesdale (Michel), Matt Czuchry (Logan), Jared Padalecki (Dean), David Sutcliffe (Rory’s dad Chris) and Milo Ventimiglia (Jess) will all be reprising their roles as some of our favorite cast members.

And as of February 11, Vanessa Marano will be returning to the show as April, Luke’s daughter with some random lady he dated before the show even existed, I don’t even remember her name. Though I like Marano as an actress, April was a bratty, annoying tween when she showed up in season 6. Hopefully, she’s grown up A LOT since then and is less annoying and more mature.

Unfortunately, Edward Hermann (Richard) passed away in 2014. I can’t imagine the Gilmore family without their patriarch but I’m sure we can expect Sherman-Palladino to handle it in the most honorable way possible.

Another original cast member who will be missing from the revival, as of right now, is Melissa McCarthy who portrayed Lorelai’s best friend Sookie. McCarthy is a bit bitter about the situation and who can blame her? It appears that she wasn’t even asked to be a part of the revival.

Jared Padalecki said that McCarthy is a busy woman so if she could make some time to swing by the set that they would love to have her back and she can make a guest appearance. We’ll keep our figures crossed that Sookie will make her return but who knows?

In other news, Sutton Foster has been added to the cast list. She is the first new character to be added to Gilmore Girls. No information has been announced yet about her role so we’ll just have to wait to find out. Maybe she’ll be Rory’s boss? Or her new best friend? After all, Lane is going to have her hands full with two 8-year-old boys running around so Rory is going to need other people to hang out with.

Since we now know that all three of Rory’s exes will be returning, we should be asking who she could end up with. Apparently, she is single but dating like many young professionals. I’m pulling for Logan; my heart broke when she turned down his proposal.

We’re not yet sure when the show will be released. Sherman-Palladino wants to release each episode a week or so apart in order to keep us on our feet and to prevent us from binging. Darn you Amy!! Just kidding, we all love you!

So, hang on collegiettes! We only have a little longer until we will (hopefully) get a satisfying ending to Gilmore Girls. 

Follow Alli on Instagram!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.