Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Galentine’s Day: A Must Celebrate Holiday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Galentine’s Day is a holiday that was first made popular by the sit-com Parks and Recreation. The holiday is celebrated on February 13th each year, a day before Valentine’s Day. It was first celebrated as a day to simply spend time with your best girlfriends, exchange presents, and eat amazing food. Over the course of the past few years, I have started to celebrate the holiday with my closest female companions and will hopefully continue to do so for years to come.

“Oh, IT’s Only the best day of the year. every february 13th, my lady friends and i leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. ladies celebrating ladies.”
– Leslie knope, Parks and rec.

There are many ways that a group of friends could choose to celebrate Galentine’s Day. As it increases in popularity there are also more products that are marketed specially for the holiday. In this article, I will include some of the most popular Galentine’s Day Party ideas.

artsy

Galentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to express your artsy abilities. One idea that I always include in my own personal celebration is some kind of crafty activity such as painting something. Not only is it an ideal way to bond, it also gives an amazing result that can be used to decorate your space. For my first Galentine’s Day, we painted on canvases using creative materials like cotton balls and q-tips. I loved the result so much that these paintings are now a main point of decoration in my dorm room.

Sentimental

Another way to really make the day a great opportunity to bond is to allow for time to express appreciation for each other. Your group could decide to gift presents or write cards to each other. Another way to grow closer to each other is to list reasons why you enjoy being in their company or you could ask a list of questions to get to know each other better.

game night

Playing board or video games are always a fun way to add a bit of competitiveness into the mix. Whether you want to host an intense UNO game or play a chill game like Animal Crossing, games are a way for all of the group to be able to interact in a fun way. Although there may not be a prize awarded at the end, the ability to bond is worth adding in time to play games when planning your celebration.

Going OUt

Sometimes we just don’t have time to plan out an elaborate Galentine’s Day celebration. That’s okay because there are many places that you can go visit to celebrate the day. Ideas could include going on a shopping spree, taking a day trip to the beach, or even going to your shared favorite restaurant for a meal. Galentine’s Day is all about just finding time to spend with your loved ones no matter how planned or spontaneous your plans are.

Galentine’s Day is really an opportunity to just have fun with your favorite people and take a break from your busy life. The list of ideas above should be used in your own way that best represents your group of friends. You could choose just one of the ideas or make a mix of all. Just remember, the point is to simply have fun so Happy Galentine’s Day!

Shea Linton

Winthrop '23

Shea is a Senior Biology major at Winthrop University. She will be graduating in December 2022 with her B.S. in Biological Science with Honors degree. When Shea is not spending time taking part in her extracurriculars or studying, you can find her playing Animal Crossing or rewatching The Office.