Flicks to Fall in Love With this Spooky Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s that time of the year again, ya’ll! Spooky season is officially here! Kicking off this fall season, I don’t know about all of you guys, but I know I love to snuggle up in fall blankets wearing fuzzy socks and watching spooky flicks. However, if you are like me, spooky flicks might be new to you. Maybe you love horror? Or perhaps psychological thrillers are more up your alley? Or even just the cute fall aesthetic is more you. That’s where I come in. Here are a few movie ideas in different aesthetics like horror, spooky, and happy-feel Halloween flicks to get you started this season. Whatever your taste is feel free to scroll below to find your next spooky movie to fall in love with!

If you are looking for fun Halloween movies that are little to no spooky at all then go nowhere than do I have the perfect list for you! First up is Hocus Pocus. Hocus Pocus is a perfect not very scary movie for all ages, a wonderful movie for the entire family. Hocus Pocus is about a villainous comedic trio of witches, played by Bette Milder, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy, who are inadvertently resurrected by a teenage boy in Salem, Massachusetts, on Halloween night. This movie is a Halloween classic full of mystery, adventure and comedy. If you like Hocus Pocus then I also highly recommend Halloween town, Casper, Beetlejuice, and The Haunted Mansion.

Now say you prefer spooky movies that are a bit more serious while still be not very scary then Edward Scissorhands is just for you! Edwards Scissorhands is all about Edward, an artificial humanoid, an unfinished creation who has scissor blades instead of hands. One day this young man was taken in by a suburban family and throughout the movie he falls in loves with their teenage daughter, Kim. Throughout this movie the townspeople that Edwards lives with go through phases of adoring Edward and then near the end of the movie they stopped trusting him and became weary, scared even of him. This is the perfect movie to give you the Halloween feels while touching your heart. Similar movies to this are The Corpse Bride, The Addams Family, and Monster House.

Finally, if you want all the horror, and scares then go watch IT. The movie IT is about a group of local kids disappearing one by one. In a place known as ‘The Barrens’, a group of seven kids are united by their horrifying and strange encounters with an evil clown and their determination to kill It. Throughout the movie the antagonist, a clown named IT, transforms into fears of those around him. If you love IT or want to watch similar movies like IT then I recommend Poltergeist, Halloween, and Chucky.

So in the end whether you prefer just the aesthetic of Fall or want something that will really keep you up at night, I hope you were able to find a few movie recommendations to watch for your next night in this October.

Chloe Pearson

Winthrop '24

Just a God-fearing chica that is way to addicted to makeup and about $80,000 in student debt. We love… Hopefully the next best MUA and NY best time selling author. Work hard and dream big!