This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s getting to be that time of year when every couple wants to partake in fun holiday activities. Before driving around town for any sight of festivity, we have you covered with 5 favorite holiday date ideas! You will be appreciated for your thoughtfulness, and you will get in the holiday spirit!

1. McAdenville lights

Christmastown USA is a huge attraction for Christmas-lovers both local and in nearby states! Between the free hot chocolate and neighborhood full of extravagant lights, what’s not to love? The best part is… IT’S FREE! You can park your car and share a stroll through the neighborhood, or stay in the car and listen to Christmas carols on the radio. There are many places for photo ops.  IT’S LIT from December 1- December 26! The hours are Monday- Friday 5:30-9:30 and Saturday and Sunday 5:30-11 pm. I’d recommend going on a week night if possible to avoid traffic.

2. Ice Skating at the Nascar Hall of Fame Uptown Ice Rink

This is my FAVORITE Christmas activity. Being a huge uptown fanatic in the first place, I’ll take any excuse to visit, but especially a large ice rink right in the heart of the city! Hot chocolate and concessions are available for purchase, and you can bring your own skates or rent them there. Opening night is November 17th, and the hours are typically 5-10 pm. The rink stays open through the holidays! There is also a gigantic 39 foot Christmas tree to put you in the spirit! Admission and skate rental is $14 total, and it is well worth it if you ask me!

3. Daniel Stowe Botanical Gardens Holiday Event

This breathtaking holiday event will have your date in awe! Between the dazzling light displays, flowers, and beautiful fountains, this event will be a unique winter wonderland. There is live music, shopping, and marshmallow roasting. There are even carriage rides for an additional fee! Tickets are $14.95 at the door, but $2 cheaper if you order online in advance. This event runs daily from 5-9 until December 31, so stop in for a beautiful winter experience.

4. A Tree Lighting Event

There are multiple tree lighting events in the area that are both festive and free! This is a great date idea because all you have to do is show up and there are usually included activities!

The NASCAR Hall of Fame Tree Lighting Celebration

This tree lighting is happening on Saturday, December 25th and will have fun games, rides, and a huge tree!

McAdenville Christmas lights, tree lighting and yule log festival

This tree lighting is on December 1st, and this event is also a Yule Log Ceremony in which kids carry a yule log through the town and residents and guests watch as the log is placed in a fireplace. Afterwards, everyone sings Christmas Carols.

NoDa Tree Lighting Celebration

This celebration will happen on December 3rd at 5:30. NoDa is my favorite part of Charlotte, and I know this tree lighting will not disappoint! They will have hot chocolate, cookies, live music, and carols.

5. Nascar Speedway Christmas

This extremely popular event runs from December 19-December 31. The price is per vehicle, and depends on whether their Christmas Village is open or not. NASCAR Speedway becomes completely lit with over 3 million holiday lights. The Christmas village is opened Thursday through Sunday and includes wagon rides, Santa photos, a petting zoo, and a Bethlehem village. They also will be playing our favorite Christmas movies! This is one of the area’s most popular holiday events, and you wouldn’t want to miss it.

I hope these holiday date ideas make your date night a little more festive this holiday season!

Lauren Griffith is a junior Mass Communication major at Winthrop University. She hopes to one day be a journalist for a newspaper or magazine, and loves writing for Her Campus at Winthrop University! In her spare time, she loves to listen to music, go to concerts, and write poetry. 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.