First In The South Highlights Winthrop Departments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Winthrop University was at the center of the political universe on Friday afternoon. Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley participated in MSNBC’s First in the South Democratic Candidate Forum, which was held in Byrnes Auditorium. During the week of preparation, MSNBC provided many learning opportunities for Winthrop students, especially those who are studying mass communication and political science.

Students were able to volunteer to be runners for the candidates, sit on stage with the candidates during the live broadcast, and some were even asked to do a one-on-one interview for MSNBC’s website.

Sophomore international business major from Lauren Kelly believes the event put a spotlight on the university.

“I think that having the First in the South Democratic Forum at Winthrop did nothing but help gain recognition for the university students in the Mass Communication Department as well as Political Science Department,” Kelly said. “In fact, I think that opportunities will be opened for all of Winthrop’s students because the name Winthrop University was said countless times on national television, helping Winthrop become a more widely known school.”

The forum was viewed by over 3,000 people in Byrnes Auditorium and millions watched live on national television, with Winthrop University at the center of it all.

photo courtesy of MSNBC

Junior political science major from Hilton Head, Tyra Holcombe, believes Winthrop will be the “talk of the town” because of the people in attendance from various states around the country.

“Winthrop will be remembered and talked about for fostering community discussion as well as regional political awareness, because of the scale of attendees who came from several different states,” Holcombe said. “Winthrop made a wise decision in helping to foster our history through hospitality, communication and fun.”

Dean of Students Bethany Marlowe sees the event being beneficial to not only the Winthrop campus, but also to the Rock Hill community.

“I think people across the United States will be seeing Winthrop for the first time,” Marlowe said. “Rachel Maddow and Dr. Huffman did a great job of showcasing the school, the Rock Hill area and our history. We have a lot to be proud of.”

Sophomore mass communication major Jessica Van Cleave was impressed with the success of the event and what came along with it.

“This definitely had a great positive effect on campus, our students, and future students,” Van Cleave said. “It has brought a lot of attention to our university and put it on the map. It provided so many real-life experiences and was just such an amazing experience.”

Since the Democratic Forum raised so much buzz around the Rock Hill community, maybe a Republican Forum is underway? 

Experienced writer with a demonstrated history of working in the writing and editing industry with strong knowledge of AP Style. Skilled in verbal communication and video filming and editing. Exceptional at creating multimedia and promotional materials.
Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!