alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Emotional Stages of Picking A Halloween Costume

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year — the temperature is dropping, the leaves are changing colors, and Halloween is right around the corner!

With this joyous occasion comes plenty of stress though, mainly when it’s time to choose a costume for one of many Halloween functions a collegiette faces.

Whether you’re gearing up for the party of the century or a quiet movie marathon with friends, you’ll be sure to understand these costume struggles!

DENIAL: 

When you realize that there’s less than a few weeks until the festivities begin — wasn’t it Labor Day like, last week? You decide that you’ll get an early start this year: there’s absolutely no way you’ll be caught dressed as a cat again. 

GUILT:

This is what you feel when you check your credit card balance after trips to Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Michael’s, Target, Goodwill, six halloween stores, two historically-accurate costume shops, and one specialty shoe store. And you’re still not quite sure what this costume IS yet. 

ANGER:

Someone drops out of the group costume, your order gets delayed, you run out of sequins….oh, and on top of preparing your costume, you still actually have to go to class. And work. And meetings. It’s fine….maybe there will be time to sleep in November. This stage can also be reached by having to explain to people why your costume is so important. 

DEPRESSION:

Life has no meaning anymore. Halloween is a consumer holiday. You are probably curled into a ball on your floor, surrounded by assorted craft supplies. Your hands are burnt with hot glue, your eyes are straining from sewing for the past 9 hours, and you don’t remember your last meal. This stage leads to….

ACCEPTANCE:

Forget it, I’m ordering a cat costume online. 

What ever you plan to wear, you are sure to look great in. Halloween is all about having fun and pretending for one night to be something else! Don’t forget to tag @hcwinthrop in your Halloween Party pics! 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.