Eleanor Weldie: Winthrop RA, English Major, Cheese Lover

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Eleanor Weldie

Year: Sophomore

Major: English

Minor: Secondary Education and Psychology

Hometown: Greenville, SC

What are you involved in?

I am an RA, a tutor at the Writing Center, I am in the honors program, a part of the campus ministry RUF, and I am on the RUF ministry team. I also lead a bible study.

How did you decide to be an English major?

It’s actually kind of a funny story. I was convinced I was going to Liberty University to be a psychology major to open up my own practice. Like bags packed convinced. Some of the money fell through at Liberty, and the only other school I applied to was Winthrop. So I went to Winthrop, thinking if I hated it, I would put off college a year. At orientation, we went to Bancroft, and second floor was decked out in quotes and book posters and other things, and I remember thinking, “I found my people.” I had always loved English in high school, I just had never seen myself studying it further, so that was my turning point. Also I love Shakespeare.

What made you want to be an RA?

The easy answer is I want to help people. The more serious answer is I want to make an impact on campus so it is not just helping freshman or helping kids, but like helping them grow and learn ways to get involved so they themselves can have the best experience they can and having my impact live out through what they are getting involved in and how they are growing as college students themselves.

What are you plans for the future?

After college I want to be a high school English teacher. I want to do that, because I believe English is the best way to teach students how to live as individuals with a moral compass in society. I would also love to pursue school psychology and reach out to kids with traumatic pasts or mental illness or learning disabilities.

What do you do in your spare time?

Snack, especially on cheese. I am originally from Wisconsin so I can’t get over cheese. I also read when I am not drowning in school work. And I watch “The Walking Dead” and play Candy Crush.

Interesting fact about yourself?

I have been parachuting in the Andes Mountains, which was very cool, but I threw up in the air.

Who do you admire the most?

I admire my dad the most, because he is a great leader and he always told me “to lead is to listen” and that is something I have taken with me my entire life. He is also really generous and caring and strong, and I just really look up to him a lot. And we can joke about everything from “Napoleon Dynamite” to Filet O’Fish.

Ali Maclay is a biology major, chemistry minor, psychology minor, and honors student at Winthrop University. She is an aspiring Neuroscientist and hopes to work at St. Jude Children's Hospital. She is the Facebook Social Media Director for Her Campus Winthrop's Facebook page, and associate member of Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, and a member of the Student Affiliates of the American Chemical Society at Winthrop. When she's not doing academic work, working at her job, or writing for HC, she's probably binge-watching Netflix, dreaming on Pinterest, stress cleaning, or eating ice cream.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.