Ed Sheeran Released New Music and It’s Everything We Imagined and More

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

It feels like we have been waiting FOREVER until we could say this: Ed Sheeran released new music today!!! After a year long hiatus, everybody’s favorite Brit came back with a bang by releasing two new songs, and they have us doing something like this:

Ed coming back from his hiatus was exactly the miracle we needed, and it did not dissapoint. Let’s take a look:

1. Shape of You

We were blessed with a sneak peak of this bop via Snapchat filter the day before it was released, and it was obvious how great it would be from those brief few seconds we got to hear. Ed has always been a man who can go from writing one beautiful ballad that makes you question life and cry, but he also knows how to make a fun upbeat song about a fling  that somehow turns int something more (seriously though, does that ever ACTUALLY happen) and that’s exactly what Shape of You was. And a song with a beat that funky makes it hard not to jam out a little too hard, and have us dancing into the wee hours of the night.

2. Castle on a Hill

And right after Ed Sheeran got us dancing and singing along, he decided to rip out our hearts and stomp on them (as he often does). Castle on a Hill might have a fun beat but you are lying if you say you didn’t start thinking about all the friends you left behind before you went off to college and all the peoople in your life who have made you who you are and then started doing this: 

But not only does Ed Sheeran make us nostalgic for our pre-college days, but he somehow makes us nostalgic for our college days, even though we are still in college. But he just makes it so easy to picture yourself graduated from college and you and all of your friends off in far places living totally different lives and suddenly you miss college even though you are currently listening to this song in your college dorm.

We will never understand how Ed Sheeran has so much control over our feelings, but we will continue to let him break our souls with his beautiful voice and genius lyrics as we count down the days until he releases more music.

In the meantime, we just have to keep telling Ed Sheeran that:

Avid reader, animal lover, and aspiring journalist. Instagram: teafranco Twitter: tea_a_franco
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.