This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

“You should be like Elle Woods walking out of the party to kick a**,” as quoted by my best friend at 1:00 a.m. in the morning.

What makes this quote absolutely fabulous and 100 percent true is not only did he reference Elle Woods, #hairflip, but this was quoted by a guy! My best friend, who is as he’d like to be described, single, a good guy, and political (he’d die if I didn’t add his political savviness and President John F. Kennedy’s charm to the mix), quoted “Legally Blonde.” The great thing about having a guy as a best friend is that they can essentially give the best advice about their own species.

I’m pretty sure I’ve called my best friend countless times about my concerns when it comes to men. I’ve talked to him about guys I’ve dated, guys I’ve been interested in, a guy I may have met in the grocery store, you name it. Over and over again,  he’s listened to my sob stories and he’s given me some pretty darn good advice! We’ve been friends for about 8 years now, so we’ve talked about everything. 

A few days ago, I was once again sobbing over this guy when my best friend cut me off and blatantly said, “F*** it, you’re a 21-year-old woman and you ain’t got time to be wasting tears on someone who won’t fulfill their potential.” And you know what? He’s right. I wanted to validate my reasoning for the sob session this particular day my best friend was not having it. He basically told me that I should do things for myself instead of worrying about how this particular guy will interpret things, and that my life should not revolve around this guy’s every thought. And low and behold, he was right yet again!
Although I’m sure this won’t be the last of our many conversations about men, I felt confident this particular night in what he was saying. I wanted to pry him for more advice, but he reminded me that the guy I’m crying over isn’t sitting down having a dramatic meltdown right now like I am. I know that was undoubtedly true, but I don’t believe I’ve seen an ounce of nurture in this man we’re talking about here.

With that’s being said, collegiettes, you should focus on yourself and enjoy the moment of working and improving the lives you want to live! We should be thankful for our guy friends and never take them for granted!

Let’s all be the Beyonce’s we’re capable of being!

Follow La’Rae on Instagram!
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.