This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Are you looking for something fun to do on Friday night? Do you enjoy laughing? Do you want to help raise money for some great causes?

If you answered yes to any of the previous questions, you should definitely come out to Big Man on Campus! Big Man on Campus is Delta Zeta’s annual fall philanthropy event. DZ’s philanthropy is speech and hearing, and their philanthropy partner is Starkey Hearing Foundation. 80% of the money raised will go to Starkey to help them provide hearing aids to those in need, 10% of the money will go to DZ’s local philanthropy partner, The Spartanburg School for the Deaf and Blind, and 10% of the money will go to The Delta Zeta Foundation.

Basically, Big Man on Campus is a comedic, male pageant. Guys who attend school here can apply to be a contestant, and they showcase themselves in an attempt to win the title of “Big Man.” This year there will be around 15 guys competing in Big Man. The contestants will participate in a group dance choreographed by a couple of DZ sisters, a formal dress round, a talent round, and a question round. There will also be a time where the audience can bid on a date with each of the contestants. 

One of the guys participating in Big Man this year is Darien Nguyen. Darien is a senior chemistry major and is the president of fraternity Pi Kappa Phi. He said that he deserves to be the next Big Man on Campus because he wants to prove that authenticity is what people like to see, so being yourself is okay. Another contestant is Yogi Patel, who is a junior business administration major and a member of fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha. Yogi told me that he decided to participate in Big Man to gain more confidence, while also making himself known around Winthrop. 

If you are interested in supporting a few awesome causes and having a good time Friday night, then you should consider coming to Big Man. I’m just saying, you might even leave with a date with a cute guy. Big Man on Campus will be on Friday, September 20th at 7 PM in Tillman Auditorium. Tickets will be $5 at the door or you can buy one from any sister of Delta Zeta beforehand for only $3. DZ is also selling Big Man on Campus comfort colors shirts- that are cute and comfy! (A picture of the shirt is below). You can purchase a ticket and t-shirt combo for $15.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact any member of DZ or email DZ’s Vice President of Philanthropy at dzlsphilanthropy@gmail.com. I hope to see all of your smiling faces there!

Have a great week, Collegiettes! 

megan ploch

Winthrop '21

Hi! My name is Megan, and I am a junior biology major at Winthrop University. In addition to being a member of Her Campus, I am a sister of Delta Zeta. I love all things NYC, music, and beauty.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.