thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog xVRdDDe6M1A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Dear Old Snapchat, I Miss You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Snapchat has evolved through the years as a quick and fun photo sharing app.  The quick photo messages allowed for instant and creative fun with friends.  The app has added videos, filters, stickers, and other effects since the birth of the little ghost cartoon which made Snapchat famous.  Their latest update, however, has all of the users shook.  

So here is an open letter to the old Snapchat from my Bitmoji asking for it to return ASAP!

Dear Old Snapchat,

How do I start this letter?  Simply put I MISS YOU! 

As I was walking to class on February 6th, 2018 I noticed a few updates in the app store, you were on the list so I clicked *update* and the next time I clicked on your yellow icon I was…shook.  

My first reaction was simply 

…,but I decided to put my aggressions into words instead of taking it to app court.

You’ve changed and not in the good way.  You were so clean and organized  before.  If I didn’t want to see the mass accumulation of stories from friends I just didn’t swipe to the right side.  You have a LOT of explaining to do! 

What really is the point of mixing stories and messages into one feed?  I can not tell you how many times I have accidently tried to see someone’s story and click the wrong spot and it goes to the DM page.  I do not want to message them nor do I need them to get the notification that I am typing… when I am in fact screaming internally trying to exit out. 

I understand the idea of compacting similar items in order to be more organized and utilize space, but this was not the route to take my dude.  Now I will never have a need to swipe over to the Discover page if the stories are thrown over with my messages.   Also, the one time I checked my Discover page I found a lot of celebrity official stories that I had never added before.  Some of your friends may be cool with seeing new people to follow every waking moment of their life, but I am picky and don’t need to see the Kardashians on Snapchat.  I do not appreciate the assumptions you are making of me. 

I just don’t.  Everything is different.  The profiles of everyone’s bitmojis are to the left of your name, group messages have a bunch of heads, and those who haven’t created Bitmojis have solid colored silhouettes.  And if someone posted a story their story is in place of their little avi.  You have up to four different icons going on and it is giving me a lot of mixed signals. 

The feng shui is off. Now the  little received/delivered icons are on the far left.  Do you know how long it will take for me to get used to looking to the right to see if anyone left me on read? A longggg time, that’s how long.

If there was one positive to this disastrous makeover it would be the glo-up of my Bitmoji.  Snapchat, you might have messed up your look, but Bitmoji has its act together.  All that I ask is for the return of the old you, the good you, the right you. 

Sincerely,

The Bitmoji of a Sad Snapchatter

Now that I got my frustrations out, back to the lovely real world full of responsibility and bad hair days that my Bitmoji is lucky enough not to have.  Until next time, vamp up your Bitmojis and try to deal with the new Snapchat update better than I have!

BFA Painting & Photogrpaphy major at Winthrop University Instagram: mag.claytor Twitter: mag_claytor
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.