This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Dear God, 

Thank you. 

Thank you for every breath I have taken and every one that I will take until the very last.

Thank you for my mind which often wanders, and for being in those wandering places. 

Thank you for my heart, which stays beating through every workout and every anxious moment. Through every heartbreak, and every exciting moment.

Thank you for my hands, which give me the ability to touch, hug, and feel. Hands that let me hold innocent and precious babies and serve those who need serving. 

Thank you for my feet which allow me to explore and see all the beauty which you have created. That let me run and jump and play the sports which have made my life all the more enjoyable. 

Thank you for my ears, so that I can hear music and my dads thought provoking stories. Ears that allow me to listen when someone needs me to so that I can be of comfort to them.

Thank you for my mouth, which gives me the opportunity to speak up and express my feelings, opinions, and/or thoughts. My mouth, which lets me sing, encourage others, and profess my faith. I can’t imagine a life without the ability to speak. 

Thank you for my health. There are so many people who would do anything to have a strong and healthy body to live their lives in. 

Thank you for love, which “Is the greatest of all things.” Thank you for giving us humans the ability to feel something so deeply that we put those we love in front of ourselves. Thank you for the impact that those four letters can have on the lives of those who seem to have lost all hope. 

Thank you for my parents who have been the most inspiring role models. For always being there for me and loving my brother and I (and each other) with their whole hearts and nothing less.

Thank you for the sacrifices they have made. 

Thank you for the pain. Yes, thank you for it. At one point in time I questioned why You would let me go through some of the things that I did, but I’ve realized that every night I cried myself to sleep and every day I thought that I was broken or unworthy, You were still there. You never left. All I needed to do was turn to You, and when I did, I was reminded that in You I am whole and cherished. Whether the challenges I faced were to help build my character, prepare me for a bigger plan, or to save my life, I thank you for letting me fall down so that You were able to give me the strength to get back up. 

Thank you for the people who are no longer in my life. You have showed me who was temporary and who is here to stay. You have taught me something through each and every person and looking hindsight, I’m grateful for it. You’ve brought new people into my life who brighten each day and make me want to be the best version of myself. People who put those who didn’t value me to shame and who have lifted me up and made me feel special beyond all measures. 

Thank you for the unanswered prayers. You have saved me from so much by not giving me what I thought I wanted. Therefore, I will continue to say “Thy will be done.” 

Thank you for the endless chances you have given me, and the lessons you have taught me.

Thank you for giving me the desire to learn and teach those around me. 

Thank you for giving me a heart that strives to serve and a compassionate spirit. 

Thank you for the morals and values instilled in me that continue to shape me. 

Thank you for my country and all the people who risk their lives each and every day to protect it.

Thank you for forgiveness. A decision and a process that sets us free.

Thank you for all these blessings + the millions more that I and many others take for granted each and every day.  No matter what you are going through, remember that you have MUCH to be thankful for. We can live thankfully, or we can live dissatisfied. I think all of us can agree as to which is the better option. 

“Give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; His love endures forever.” 1 Chronicles 16:34

Ariel Flores is a junior Human Development and Family Studies major, minoring in Health at Winthrop University. Her concentration is adolescent studies, but she finds joy in working with children of all ages. To work at Levine Children Hospital with families and children is her current post-graduation goal. She enjoys making memories with her friends & family, and is always up for an adventure.  "Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"     
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.