Dear David: The Story of One New York Man’s Paranormal Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Well Collegiettes, Halloween has officially come and gone, but you may have missed out on one of that creepiest stories yet. 

As many of you may have seen on Twitter and other social media outlets, a man named Adam Ellis has been documenting his personal experience with a paranormal entity.

Back in August, Adam began having some out of the ordinary experiences in his New York apartment. Weird dreams, abnormal behavior from his cats, and some events that seemed to be more than just coincidental began occurring in his life a higher rate than normal.

As these occurrences and events became more and more common, Adam decided to document every detail of what was happening on his own personal Twitter account. 

While some of his experiences seemed to be rather arbitrary, and could likely be chalked up to mere chance, others shared one common, disturbing characteristic: David. 

Adam claims that the event that started it all was what may have been a dream.

In his dream, Adam woke up in the middle of the night to find a small, sad, shrunken boy sitting in a chair on the opposite side of his bedroom. The boy was silent. He had a very large and very misshaped head, almost as if someone have dented it with a hammer. For a while, the boy just sat there staring at Adam, but after a while he began moving closer. Before the child made it to Adam, he woke up in a state of pure panic. 

The boy in his dream, as he would later find out, was named David. Apparently, David has been killed as a child in some sort of accident. This, however, did not have anything to do with why he fixated on Adam in particular. 

Over the course of several months, David has been appearing both directly and indirectly in Adam’s life

In documenting the entire experience via Twitter, Adam has been able to share detailed recollections of various events, pictures, and videos regarding several different oddities – all of which you can find here in a neat and organized PowerPoint that Adam made himself. 

Now, it had been about two months since Adam last update us on what’s been going on with his little friend. However, on November 6th, Adam added some very new, very frightening pictures to his original thread. 

Previously, Adam had been having abnormal problems with the electricity in his apartment, all of which seem to have no identifiable source. While these problems; though valid in their importance, appear to be the least of his worries. 

It was while Adam was cooking dinner that he captured this creepy photo, one in which a small child can be seen peering through the window: 

Just in case you’re having trouble seeing it, here’s an enhanced version: 

In addition to this, David has appeared to Adam several more times. 

What Adam previously mentioned as dreams, were apparently more or less instances of sleep paralysis. Adam claimed that he felt mostly awake, but could not move at all. While this could easily be equated to lucid dreaming, Adam’s more recent experiences seem to suggest otherwise. 

In these more recent instances that Adam describes, he still remains firm that sleep paralysis overcame him, and his movement was inhibited. However, Adam also states that at one point he was able to grab his phone and begin taking pictures. 

The following pictures were taken on Adam’s phone and claim to be documenting a similar experience as Adam’s first encounter with David. Adam states that David appeared in his bedroom again at night, and like before, began moving towards him. This time however, Adam felt more alert and awake and was apparently able utilize his phone’s camera as a means of obtaining proof. 

I don’t know about you, but this scared me half to death. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking: This is a hoax. This isn’t real. Wow, that’s so photoshopped. 

Okay, maybe you’re right. Maybe this whole thing is a hoax. BUT WHAT IF IT ISN’T. 

I am a firm believer in the fact that while some things are simply coincidence, others are not. I’m not saying that I completely believe what Adam has shown us, especially since it’s all coming from his own perspective, and that likely holds some bias. However, I do think that at least some of what he’s said may be true. 

Nevertheless, whether you believe that Adam is being haunted, or you believe that this whole thing is a hoax, I think we can all agree that this has a big

Written all over it. 

Nicholle Lewis

Winthrop '20

Nicholle is a junior biology major with a minor in psychology and Winthrop University. In addition to being Editor in Cheif for Her Campus at Winthrop, she is an honors student, an undergraduate research assistant, a member of the fraternal conduct board, and a sister of Delta Zeta. In her free time, Nicholle enjoys reading, hiking, yoga, and meeting new dogs. When asked what her favorite aspect of Her Campus is, Nicholle replied "I love Her Campus because if has helped me learn to not only find my own voice, but to use it to connect with so many people I wouldn't have met otherwise." 
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.