“Dancing With The Stars” Week 1 Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Week 1 of Dancing with the Stars is off to a great start. The professional’s are hotter than ever and seem to have some pretty decent partners this season. So, to keep you updated in case you missed the Season Premiere, here are the current scores and a recap of last weeks’ dance. 

1. Maks Chmerkovskiy & Amber Rose

Amber and Maks danced the Foxtrot this week to Alessia Cara’s: “Here”. Amber slayed in a gorgeous sparkly dress and looked amazing paired with Maks. They scored a total of 24/40. Watch their dance below:

2. Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Johnson

Calvin and Lindsay danced the Cha-Cha this week to Flo Rida’s “That’s What I Like”. Calvin sports a Size 15 shoe so their package for the week shows them trying to manuever around the obstacle. And they succeeded, coming out of the first week with a score of 26. You can watch their dance below:

3. Marilu Henner & Derek Hough

Marilu and Derek danced the Jive this week to “Can’t Stop Dancin'” by Captain and Tenille. Derek came out looking more sparkly than Amber Rose with an all-black glitter jacket. Marilu looked poppin’ in her outfit and the couple ended their dance with a score of 27. Watch their dance for Week 1 below:

4. James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess 

James and Sharna danced the Foxtrot to “Live Life” by Zade Wolfe. They CRUSHED it, having tied for the higest score of 31. Sharna looked gorgeous in a lace/floral turquoise dress that made her striking red hair pop even more. Watch their hypnotizing dance below:

5. Maureen McCormick & Artem Chigvintsev

Maureen and Artem danced the Viennese Waltz to “Natural Woman” by Mary J. Blige. Maureen is best know for her role of Marsha in “The Brady Bunch”. The dance was beautiful, but earned the duo a total score of 22, making it one of the lower scores of the week. Watch the dance below:

6. Kenneth “Babyface” Emonds & Alison Holker

Babyface and Allison danced the Foxtrot to “Deed I Do” by Ray Charles. Alison is back after taking a season off to have her second child. This dance earned this dazzling duo a score of 26. Watch the dance below:

7. Vanilla Ice & Witney Carson

Vanilla Ice and Witney danced the Cha-Cha to Vanilla Ice’s own “Ice Ice Baby”. This was easily one of the more awesome dances and made me want to get up and dance. The couple gained some criticism but came out with a score of 25. Watch their dance below:

8. Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko

Jana and Gleb danced the Waltz to “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande. Jenna and Gleb had such great chemistry and their dance was seriously sexy. Dancing the Waltz was perfect for this song. The duo scored a 27, making it one of the higher scores. Watch their dance below:

9. Jake T. Austin & Jenna Johnson

Jake and Jenna danced the Jive to “Kiss You” by One Direction. Jake is best known for his role as Max in “Wizards of Waverly Place”. The dance was so full of energy and was really enjoyable. There were a few mistakes but overall the duo scored a 22, being one of the lower scores. Watch the dance below:

10. Rick Perry & Emma Slater

Rick and Emma danced the Cha-Cha to Little Texas’ “God Blessed Texas”. Rick Perry is known for being the Governor of Texas. This duo scored the lowest with a score of 20. Watch the dance below:

11. Terra Jolé & Sasha Farber 

Terra and Sasha danced the Jive to Kelly Clarkson’s “Stuff Like That There”. Terra is known for her part in “Little Women: LA”. Terra looked stunning in her red dress and the couple scored a 25 overall. Watch the dance below:

12. Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke

Ryan and Cheryl danced the Foxtrot to “Call me Irresponsible” by Michael Buble. The dance went awesome for their first dance but the show had to cut to commerical due to protestors charging the stage wearing “Anti Ryan Lochte” shirts. However, the duo scored a 24. Watch the dance below:

13. Laurie Hernandez & Val Chmerkovskiy

Laurie and Val danced the Cha-Cha to “American Girl” by Bonnie McKee. This was the best dance of the night with a score of 31, tying with Ryan and Sharna’s dance. They crushed their dance making it my favorite of the night. Watch their AMAZING dance below:

And there you go! Those are the scores from Week 1.

Be sure to watch Dancing with the Stars on Monday and Tuesday’s at 8 P.M. 

(All videos are coutesy of ABC Network)

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.