Common Misconceptions Of Only Children

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Once you tell someone you’re an only child it’s like telling them you’re from a different country…they have SO many questions–which mostly involve silly stereotypes that have never actually been proven true. Because you’ve been asked these questions before, pretty much your whole life they don’t even phase you anymore. About 23% of American households have only one child and that number is on the rise.

As a cities’ population increases the percentage of only children increase as well. With that being said I think it’s time we clear up a few common misconceptions about only children.

1. We are spoiled rotten 

While the spoiled part may be true, in many cases the rotten part is not a guarantee. I appreciate everything my parents do for me, always have and always will.

2. We are self-centered and selfish

When describing myself, this never comes to mind.

3. We are lonely

The number one question I get asked when I tell people that I’m an only child is “Weren’t you lonely?” The answer is no! I had cousins, friends and neighbors to play with just like any other child does. Not to mention, my parents were required to be a little more fun than parents of multiple children.

4. We are bossy

This stereotype is used when describing mostly small children, but just like any other child, only children are capable of growing out of this as well.

5. We are completely dependent on our parents

As an only child I am proud to say that I am very independent and have always been this way. My parents pushed me to be self sufficient and this is something that many people my age struggle with, only child or not.

So the the next time someone tells you they’re an only child do them a favor and DON’T use these misconceptions to prejudge who they are. Get to know them instead! And for all my Collegiettes who are only children too, you rock!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.