This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As a native of Rock Hill, I think Christmastime is when my hometown comes the most alive. I love the month of December when all the small businesses come together to decorate Main Street head to toe, local stores introduce their holiday specials, and Fountain Park brings in its cozy ice skating rink. The city of Rock Hill is growing larger each year while still maintaining our small-ish town Southern charm, and Christmastime brings out the best in our local community. Below are just a few of my favorite Rock Hill holiday traditions!

Rock Hill Christmas Parade

The Christmas parade usually falls on the first Friday of December. Many small businesses, schools and organizations decorate floats with layers of tinsel and lights, playing Christmas songs and waving to the crowd. Families and friends line up along Oakland Avenue, setting up lawn chairs and bundling up with hot cocoa. The highlight of the evening is Santa’s sleigh capping off the festivities, laughing and waving to every child he sees. The Christmas parade is one of my favorite community events that brings our town together to kick off this holiday season.

Christmasville

Towards the end of November each year, each and every small business and organization on Main Street decorate its windows for Christmasville. This already beautiful street transforms into a Winter Wonderland scene straight out of a Hallmark movie. Twinkly lights line the roofs and snowy winter scenes are set up in windows for passersby.

Christmasville activities begin this year on November 30 and run through December 3. There is singing, dancing, theater, crafts, and more! My favorite activity growing up was the pancake breakfast with Santa, and in high school I loved volunteering to help out with kid’s crafts and cookie decorating. There really is something for everyone in this long weekend of holiday festivities downtown.

Founders Holiday Ice Rink

The holiday ice rink opens in November and runs through mid-January! Located in downtown Rock Hill by Fountain Park, the ice rink is a perfect date location, or even just a relaxing place to skate and unwind during the holiday mayhem. The rink is a fun meeting place for the community, but it’s not always overly crowded or busy like the outdoor rinks in larger cities. It’s the perfect size to be both welcoming and cozy. Visiting the holiday ice rink always reminds me why I love Rock Hill.

Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra Concert

The Rock Hill Symphony Orchestra puts on a performance every Christmas season, and this year they have two! You can watch them perform familiar holiday hits during their Holiday Pops concert on December 2nd at 7:30pm, as well as on December 3rd from 3-5pm at Christmasville. The orchestra receives funding and support from many organizations in Rock Hill, and they sound wonderful!

Knowledge Perk Holiday Lattes

This article would not be complete without mentioning the blessing that is Knowledge Perk coffee. Their new holiday menu offers delicious seasonal flavors, such as gingerbread, candy cane white mocha, Mayan mocha, and a Tropical Christmas latte. I have tried both the gingerbread latte and the gingerbread chai, and both outscore Starbucks in my holiday drink rankings! But don’t just take my word for it, try them yourself ;)

Rachel Arwood

Winthrop '25

Hi! My name is Rachel Arwood and I am a junior psychology major at Winthrop University. I transferred here this year from Loyola University Maryland. In my free time, I enjoy running, reading and creative writing.