Chip and Joanna Gaines: HGTV Dream Couple

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Chip and Joanna Gaines were sort of thrown into Fixer Upper when it first aired in 2013. They weren’t looking to start a TV show necessarily; they were just trying to have successful careers so that they could afford to raise their family. When the opportunity to do the show arose, the Gaines’ were a bit skeptical but they took a leap of faith and moved forward with it. At the time, they had four young kids, little money, amazing talent, and a passion for life that has since inspired their fans across the nation. Now, nearly four years after their first episode aired, the Gaines’ have achieved success beyond their imagination and have become fan favorites on HGTV.

Chip and Jo’s story began in 2001 when the two were college students at Baylor University. Jo was working at her father’s shop and Chip was a customer. The two were polar opposites and definitely not each other’s types but they were intrigued. So, the two started dating and the rest is history. Here they are 16 years, 4 kids, a book and a TV show later and more in love than ever.

The couple married in 2003 and Jo opened the first Magnolia Market that same year. The shop was on Bosque Boulevard in Waco, close to the houses that they were currently flipping. The shop lasted for a couple of years before the Gaines’ decided to close down to focus on raising their kids. Thankfully for fans and customers, Jo re-opened the shop in 2014 and it has been a success ever since.

Fixer Upper has given Chip and Jo a whole new life. Its popularity has brought them loyal fans and customers, success in their business, and happiness that they always wanted. The silos at Magnolia Market are a way for fans to get up close with Chip and Jo and get an idea into some of the decor that Jo uses in the houses that they fix. On Magnolia Market’s website, customers can find apparel, paint, gifts, home decor, and more. Check out the site here.

Chip and Jo are hilarious together. The love that they have for each other and their family is inspiring and just one of many reasons that Chip and Jo are our fave HGTV couple.

Catch old episodes on HGTV’s site and new episodes on HGTV Tuesdays at 9 P.M. 

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.