Celebrity Books You Need To Be Reading

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

I’ve been on a kick recently with the books I choose to read and have been reading a lot of books written by celebrities about their careers and life advice they have. Here’s the list of some of the best celebrity books I’ve read over the last year–and the ones you HAVE to read, too!

“Talking As Fast As I Can: From Gilmore Girls to Gilmore Girls (And Everything In Between)” by Lauren Graham

The “Parenthood” and “Gilmore Girls” star wasn’t new to writing when she published this book in 2016. In 2013, Lauren wrote “Someday, Someday, Maybe”, a novel about a young actress in NYC. “Talking As Fast As I Can” chronicles Lauren’s life and experience in the television industry. She tells stories from the sets of both “Parenthood” and “Gilmore Girls”, stories of her childhood, and stories of her love life. This was a great book and a super easy read! For any Lauren Graham fans out there, read this book now, you’ll LOVE it!

“Scrappy Little Nobody” by Anna Kendrick

In 2016, Anna Kendrick added a new job title to her name: author. In this book, Anna talks about her career, sex, living very modestly with guy friends and so much more. She’s hilarious and honest and incredibly open about the experiences that she’s gone to to get her to the place she’s in today. Anna opens up more than I expected and I am so grateful for that because it made me an even bigger fan than I already was. If you want to laugh, this is a book that you need to read!

“The Girl With The Lower Back Tattoo” by Amy Schumer

Ok, so Amy Schumer. Hilarious, empowering, confident, total bad ass; just to name a few. Amy is an awesome person and I think she’s one of those people who everyone just wants to be friends with. Like Anna, Amy is very honest and open about her life and her relationship with her family, her father’s illness, her boyfriend and really what keeps her going. Amy Schumer is a comedic genius and I think everybody needs to read this book!

“Finding My Shine” by Nastia Liukin

Nastia Luikin is such an inspiration. She’s a warrior and a fighter; she’s a motivator and an athlete; she’s a winner and a competitor. She’s a hero to many girls. She fought her way to the Olympics in 2008 and won the Gold. That was the highlight of her career. In her book she talks about the highs and the lows of her career, about her life in Russia and her life in the United States. She talks about her fiance and her parents. Nastia talks about how important it is to her to empower and inspire young girls and that’s exactly what she does in this book.

“Taking the Lead: Lessons From A Life In Motion” by Derek Hough

I am absolutely in love with Derek Hough so when I stumbled across his book in a bookstore last year, I jumped at the opportunity to read it. Let me just tell you, I was not disappointed! Derek talked about his childhood and growing up in Utah with four sisters. He had kind of a troubled childhood and that’s how he ended up living in London with Mark Ballas and his parents. This book was written so well and it really made you feel for Derek. His childhood wasn’t easy but he persevered and look where he is today. I know that sounds cliche but he really did rise up and make the most of a tough situation. Great read!

“Sorry Not Sorry” by Naya Rivera

Naya Rivera is one of the most controversial “Glee” actresses mainly because of her relationship with co-star Mark Salling and the alleged drama between her and co-star Lea Michele. In her book, Naya talks about her time on “Glee” as well as the relationship with her ex-fiance, the relationship with her son and the relationship with her soon to be ex-husband. She and Ryan Dorsey married a couple of years ago and just recently separated. Naya doesn’t take crap from anybody and that’s very obvious in this book. She’s independent and confident and isn’t going to apologize for anything. She lives in the moment and doesn’t focus on her regrets. You go girl!

“Year of Yes” by Shonda Rhimes

Never in my life have I ever been more inspired by someone than I have been by Shonda Rhimes. This woman is crazy inspirational. She’s a single mother, a writer, a producer and so much more. One day, her sister told her that she said no to everything and that struck a chord with her. Shonda decided that she needed to change so she started saying yes to anything and everything that scared her. This book was one of the best books I have ever read in my life and I strongly recommend it for anyone looking for a little extra inspiration!

“Pretty Happy” by Kate Hudson

Kate Hudson is a fitness Goddess; there is absolutely no denying that. She’s got a killer bod and eats insanely well. She can kick your butt into shape without a doubt! So, she decided that she was going to write “Pretty Happy” and help inspire women to connect their mind, body and soul and get to a place where they’re pretty happy. Kate focuses on teaching us how to keep everything in check and how to be aware of our feelings and what’s going on around us. Great book that really gets you focused on yourself!

Collegiettes, get yourselves to the closest bookstore and get to reading; you won’t regret it!

Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.