A Brief on “The Trevor Project”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

If you’ve heard about “The Trevor Project” before, I’m sure you know what it is. And, if you haven’t heard of it before, then you’re about to!

Bascially “The Trevor Project” is a community and a resource for all LGBTQ people from ages 13-24. According to the national “Trevor Project” website, it’s “the leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning.” It’s a great organization and should continue to be shared and spread to all members of the LGBTQ community. 

What you might not have known about “The Trevor Project” is that it was “founded in 1998 by the creators of the [1994] Academy Award®-winning short film TREVOR”, a movie about a boy in high school coming to terms with his homosexuality, and figuring out how to deal with the judgment he faces from his peers and the other people around him. The boy in the movie was named Trevor, hence where the name “The Trevor Project” comes from.

Trevor is supposed to represent the typical person struggling with understanding their sexual orientation. It’s obviously not easy, and it shows the struggle through this short film. At the end of the film, it’s a happy ending–which what all of us will have, regardless of our sexual orientations, regardless of where we are, who we are and who we like. 

If you want to learn more about “The Trevor Project”, visit their website and share the support. If you want to watch the movie TREVOR, you definitely should! Check it out!

Collegiettes, just remember that no matter who you like or who you are, you are always loved. If you or a someone you know is gay or questioning or suicidal, tell them to visit the website and call this number: 1-866-488-7386

Never give up, Collegiettes. You are beautiful and amazing and should be proud of who you are. 

Emily Murphy has been with Her Campus Media since 2018, and is currently the Branded Content Associate. She was the Campus Correspondent and Editor/President at her chapter at Winthrop University for four years, but has had a passion for all things writing since she was young. When she's not scribbling ideas down for her next branded article, she's watching reruns of Seinfeld while scrolling Pinterest for apartment inspo. Follow her on Instagram at @emilysmurfy