Culture > Digital

Black Excellence in Online Spaces: My Favorite YouTubers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

In honor of Black History Month, I deemed it necessary to highlight black success specifically seen through women in the media. More times than not black people are subject to seeing and hearing themselves negatively represented in society, whether it be through open dialogue, movies, music, and more. While depictions of past and current strife in the black community can be educational and a sound reminder of how far society has to progress, it can also be a bit emotionally taxing. With that in mind, I thought it might be nice to highlight examples of black excellence in online spaces seeing as technology has a significant impact on how most of us function on a daily basis. Watching YouTube videos is one of my favorite things to do in my free time, so I wanted to present a few of my favorite black creators!

AllyiahsFace

I have been following Allyiah for years and her content has never failed to inspire me. I love how she isn’t afraid to talk about her trials and tribulations over the years and how overcoming those obstacles led to her ultimate rise to a comfortable lifestyle. She’s funny, relatable, and makes content that I never get tired of. From try-on hauls to sit down girl-talk videos, Allyiah makes the viewer feel as though they’re in the same room as her. Her essence is truly unmatched and what she stands for motivates to never settle for less in any aspect of life.

Isis Aryon 

I love watching Isis because she’s a young entrepreneur with a bubbly personality. She currently has a cosmetic line called “Project Prink” as well as a clothing line, which is enjoyable for me because I’m an aspiring fashion designer. On top of that she’s also a stylist and college student. It’s nice being able to see someone who looks like me doing the same kinds of things that I want to do. Isis is a sweet spirit with killer style who is shooting for the stars and encourages her audience to stay true to themselves.

Jasmine Williams

Jasmine’s videos are nothing shy of entertaining as she takes the viewer through her daily routines and weeks in her life. Not only does she have a great sense of humor, but she’s energetic and authentic in what she creates. She’s driven and dedicated to becoming the best version of herself she could be. I love that she shows up as the girl she wants to be in the future because with her work ethic, I have no doubt that she’ll achieve everything her heart desires. 

Kai Foster

I love Kai because she’s so real. Her videos don’t feel gimmicky or copy and pasted from what everyone else may be doing on YouTube. She talks a lot about mental health and how working on herself has impacted her experience with others. I love her sense of humor and how she knows she’s not perfect but is still confident in her abilities. She’s one of my favorites because she isn’t afraid to be vulnerable online and I feel like we need more of that in society. 

Kianna Naomi

I really vibe with Kianna’s channel because she gives me calm and comforting energy. While she has shared struggles and setbacks in her personal life, she also notes how much she has grown as a person. I love how she promotes self love and doing what’s best for you regardless of how others may feel or react. I’ve really enjoyed being able to watch her over the years as she goes through some of the same phases of life I do as a young adult. 

Liyah Li

Liyah has a fun spark about her that I absolutely love. Her journey from her hometown where she lived her whole life to another city where she currently resides is inspiring because I wish to move in the same way. I have enjoyed being able to watch her show how possible it is to do exactly what you put your mind to at such a young age. It inspires me to keep going despite the odds. 

All of these beautiful black creators have given so much to me without realizing it. Whether it be knowledge or motivation, I always leave their videos feeling better about striving towards my dreams and goals. They are living proof of black excellence and being able to see that representation is everything for me. 

Yasmine Mobley

Winthrop '23

Hey everyoneee, I’m a content creator, future business owner and aspiring fashion designer!