Billie Jean Shaw: Journalist & Fellow Winthrop Eagle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

As a former Winthrop eagle, miss Billie Jean Shaw has not only been a leader on campus, but she has been an inspiration for women in the journalism industry. Now a reporter at WIS TV in Columbia, South Carolina, Shaw has had the chance to cover major stories such as the Emmanuel AME church shootings in Charleston and has even had the chance to interview presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. Her Campus Winthrop had the chance to chat with this fabulous lady and talk all about who she is and also what her career is like! Check it out below.  

What inspired you to go into journalism?

I’ve always had a passion for public speaking. I was the student in grade school who got excited about presentations in class. That excitement continued through my high school years where I participated in oratorical contests. To perfect my speaking skills, I would watch the local news to pick up tips from the broadcasters. One of my favorite people to watch was Lucas McFadden, he is currently an anchor at CN2 in Rock Hill. By my senior year of high school I decided to couple my love for public speaking and writing and major in Broadcast at Winthrop. It worked out perfectly because I’ve always been an inquisitive person as well.

What does being a Winthrop graduate mean to you?

Attending Winthrop University one of the best decisions I’ve ever made! My mom and aunts were Winthrop graduates so I grew up hearing great things about the school. The professors at Winthrop truly prepared me for the amazing world of broadcast. When I tell people I graduated from Winthrop, it is always followed by a compliment. I am a proud Winthrop Eagle! *Spiritttttt Checkkkkkk*

What were you involved in at Winthrop?

While at Winthrop, I was a member of the Xi Beta Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta,  DiGiorgio Student Union (DSU) and Winthrop Association of Black Journalists (WUABJ). I also hosted a radio show on WINR and wrote for the Roddey McMillian Record. Lastly, I completed six internships throughout my college career.

Can you tell me a little more about your involvement with WU ABJ?

I was one of the founding members of WUABJ under the guidance of Dr. Guy Reel. I held several positions in the organization before becoming president in 2013.

What has been your most memorable/craziest story you’ve ever covered?

The story which has impacted me the most is the Emanuel AME church shootings.

Every time I think about that story I get emotional. Still to this day I cannot get past the tragedy that took place. The night of the shooting, I got to Charleston around midnight, I went on air the following hour and did not get off until 5 pm. I quickly learned several of the victims had ties to my friends, people I attended Winthrop with and even my dad. It was awful and I still have trouble talking about it.

What is the one piece of advice you can give to college students who are about to graduate?

I would recommend that all college students intern! I cannot stress the importance of internships enough. It is one thing to learn in class but it’s a whole different ball game when you actually go out and put action behind the lesson. If you are about to graduate, I recommend you plan and prepare.  Your senior year is not the time to slack off, you need to be applying to jobs way ahead of graduation and checking in with your professors and previous intern supervisor to see what positions they may know of. I also want seniors to know to stay confident. You may not get a “yes” on your first try but continue to believe in yourself and know when one door closes another one will open.

What advice do you have for women who are entering the journalism industry?

For women entering the news industry, my advice to you is never allow yourself to feel less than or inadequate because you are a woman. This industry is filled with male leaders but remember you can hold your own weight. I also advise women to  let their hard work be the only factor that determines if they move up in the industry, nothing else!

Who is your role model? 

While this may seem somewhat of a cliche answer, my role model is my mother. She’s genuine, a hard worker and has such a loving personality. She keeps family first but still finds time to treat herself. I hope to be at least half of the woman my mother is.

All photos are courtesy of Billie Jean’s Facebook page.

Catherine is an ambitious twenty-something woman living in Rock Hill, South Carolina where she attends Winthrop University as a mass communication major. She is the President and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Winthrop, which she co-founded in November 2014. She has also been a member of the Winthrop chapter of the Association for Women in Communications, and is currently the President of the Society of Professional Journalists chapter at Winthrop. Since being involved with Her Campus, Catherine received an internship at Her Campus Media in Boston, MA. She also currently works as a Chapter Advisor for the company and writes about Grey's Anatomy each week for the site. Because of Her Campus, she has also received writing positions at many publications throughout her 3 years at Winthrop. Outside of her busy lifestyle, Catherine enjoys relaxing with her friends on the weekends and having Sex and the City marathons. She can't live without her dog, family, Cosmopolitan, friends, Starbucks, Instagram, The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy and of course Chick-fil-A. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: @cathclowe!