This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Photo from Google Images

This live-action movie is based off the classic book, “The BFG”, written by Ronald Dahl.

The movie starts with an orphan named Sophie. One night after the rest of the children have fallen asleep, Sophie is hiding under the covers reading a book. She hears noises outside the bedroom window and climbs out of bed, only to find alley cats knocking over a trash can. She soon sees a giant hand picking up the trashcan. Unable to understand what she just witnessed, Sophie looks up to find a pair of giant eyes looking right back at her! The giant, later called the BFG (Big Friendly Giant), has to take little Sophie back to his home in Giant Country because she spotted him, and the BFG could not have Sophie running around telling people. Sophie believes the BFG is going to cook her and proceed to devour her, so she pleads for her life. 

The BFG then goes on to explain he does not eat, as he refers to them “Human Beans”, only that “Human Beans” are not supposed to see him. He tells the story about his last “Human Bean” friend and his demise. 

Later in the film, Sophie discovers the other giants, who are significantly larger than the BFG, tease her new friend. One day, some giants grab the BFG and force him to “play” with them. While this is happening, another giant smells Sophie and is determined to find and eat her.

One small detail they kept from the book was the BFG’s noticeably huge ears. Will the BFG be able to keep little Sophie safe? If you have not read the book, you should add it to your list of summer reads.  For the Dahl fans who remember how the book went, go watch this movie! You will not be disappointed!  

Rating: PG

Director: Steven Spielberg

Release Date: 2016

Genre: Adventure/Family/Fantasy

Photo from Google Images

Hey there! My name is Ashley. I love movies, music, animals, learning new things, and going on adventures. I'm crazy enough to double major in Theatre and Mass Communication. One of my life goals is to graduate before I die.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.