Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Best of Both Worlds: Check Out the Documentary Series “Black Love” to Celebrate Black History Month and Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

To celebrate both Black History Month and Valentine’s Day, check out “Black Love,” a four part documentary series that originally aired on the Oprah Winfrey Network back in August of 2017. Click here to watch a preview. 

This brief overview is straight from the OWN website: “Black Love highlights love stories from the black community and seeks to answer the burning question, What is the secret to making a marriage work? Husband-and-wife filmmakers Codie and Tommy Oliver present real, honest, emotional and sometimes cringe worthy love stories from some of the most successful people in business and entertainment as well as everyday couples.”

This series provides insight from real couples who have gone through both highs and lows in their marriage. Couples discuss how they made it through infidelity, financial struggles, fertility issues, the loss of a child and other marital struggles. These couples also share how they fell in love, how they keep the spark alive and discuss why and how they choose to fight for their marriage, even when it was not easy. You may find yourself laughing and crying with them while listening to their stories.

Some of these couples have been married ranging from under 10 years to 60 plus years. To see clips and extras from the show, click here. Some faces you may recognize in this series include Tia Mowry from the show “Sister Sister,” Viola Davis from “How to Get Away with Murder” and Meagan Good from “Think Like a Man.”  

To watch the series, you can download the OWN app and sign in through your network provider. Regardless if you are single, in a relationship or it’s complicated, this four part series will definitely get you in your feelings and give you hope about love.

Whether you watch these episodes by yourself, with your friends or with your significant other, this series will surely get you in the spirit of celebrating of Valentine’s Day and Black History Month! Enjoy Collegiettes! HCXO!!

Ta'Niss Robinson is a junior Psychology major with a Human Resource Management minor who decided to try her hand at writing. When she is not doing homework, she can be found reading, dancing, laughing with her friends and family and enjoying the little things in life. One of her favorite quotes is "I have learned that I still have a lot to learn" by Maya Angelou.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.