The Best and Worst Things About Being An Army Brat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Tons of children around the world have parents that serve, and so this month we honor those children because April is Military Child Month.

I, Cherise, am one of those Military children–but what I really like to refer to myself as is an Army Brat.

If you’re a military kid just like I am, then you’ll totally be able to relate to my Top 5 Best and Worst Things About Being an Army Brat! 

The Best Things

1. Moving Around

Depending on your own opinions, this might not be on your own list of “Best Things”, but I happen to think that moving around as much as you do when you’re parents are in the Military is very unique, and it gives you a one-of-a-kind, diverse culture.

Ya homegirl was born in Germany, lived there for 8 years, then lived in Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Hawaii, Kansas, South Carolina, and Washington State. I’ve loved living in so many different places and meeting so many different people! The coolest part about it all, though is that I don’t have an accent! 

This is Ponyland in Germany back in 1997. This is me and my mom is pregnant with my little sister! 

2. Having Friends Around the World

Like I just said, if you move around with your family a lot than you meet a lot of different types of people which I think is a very special thing. I happen to have culturally, ethnically, racially, religiously, socio-economically diverse friends all over the world! This causes me to be very open-minded, culturally aware and a lover of diversity! 

My friends literally look like this lol. The definition of diversity, beauty, and #squadgoals.

3. Getting to Travel

If you’re like me, than you have traveled…a lot. Not many people my age can say they have been to almost all 50 states and several foreign countries. I think traveling is something everyone should do, and I’m very fortunate I’ve had the opportunity to travel so much so far in my life! 

4. Learning to Love Change

If you’re a military brat, you can overcome adversity and adapt to change easily. My whole life has been change–change of homes, change of food, change of friends, change of scenery and even change of language! Not to mention, I’m not afraid to fly on planes at all anymore! 

5. Education

Thanks to the Post 9/11 GI Bill, most my college was paid for. I’m very blessed to have this in my life! 

Thanks Dad for your 27 Years of Service! 

The Worst Things

1. Temporary Absences

Like most parents, my Dad was gone at war and deployments and other things for over half my life. He missed several birthdays, concerts, award ceremonies, holiday’s, and more because he was serving this country. That is time we can never get back or spend together, which is very difficult to understand at a young age. Thankfully he retired this year! As much as us Military brats might miss our parents though, we still are extremely proud of them. 

2. Having to Say Goodbye to Friends

Though it’s awesome having friends all around the world when you’re traveling around with your family, it’s also very hard–and I’m sure that if you’re parents are or were in the Military, you know exactly what I mean.

I went to 10 schools K-12 so I had to leave many friends behind. But luckily, my true friendships haven’t died. The worst goodbye was when I moved right before my senior year of high school–I had been at the school for all of my sophomore and junior year, and so it definitely was a tough transition. 

3. There’s Not One Place You Call Home

Like most families that move a lot with their Military parents, I never really had a “home.”  I have no idea what it’s like to live and grow up in one place for your entire life. So it’s a little awkward to be asked, “Where are you from?” 

4. Having Friends Around The World

Yes, this is in fact a positive and a negative thing when you’re a Military brat. We might have a ton of friends in a ton of different places, but it’s hard to see them!

Traveling to see my best friends is outrageously expensive because most of them still live in Hawaii. And while growing up, making friends was hard because I knew I’d eventually have to leave them.

This is my going away party in Hawaii, 2008. The girl to my left is named Arraya, and the to girls to the right are Codi and Kiana! They are 3 of middle school best friends from Ilima Intermediate in Ewa Beach, HI! Arraya is Thai. Kiana is half Filipino, half Mexican, and Codi is all sorts of things! 

5. Job Applications

To put it simply, filling out my addresses for the past 10 years on job applications is a PAIN! There is SO much to write…

Despite the best and worst, I am truly blessed and thankful for the way I was raised. Let us not forget that the families of the soldiers need your support too. 

Here are some other blasts from the past! 

Hanna’s High School Graduation May 2011 from Junction City High School! My parents flew back to Kansas with me so I could attend at the high school I attended the longest! Hanna is second generation Korean American and now has her Bachelors and Masters Degree from Kansas State University in Architecture.

This is my best friend from elementary school Jessica! We been friends since 3rd grade. Can you spot us above in Roye-Williams Elementary School class photo? I visited her in Washington, DC for my 23rd Birthday after not seeing her for a few years. Jessica is mixed half black, half white, and is also an Army Brat! 

This is my best friend from 8th grade Nazeehah! She is Indian and Muslim. We were co-presidents together at Ilima Intermediate School in Hawaii. We had not seen each other since we were 14 years old, but I got to meet up with her in Washington, DC for my 23rd Birthday! She sometimes wears a Hijab, she teaches Arabic and has her Bachelors Degree from University of Hawai’i.

This is one of my best friends from college and my fraternity sister Sara! She is Brazilian and brilliant! We met here at Winthrop University! 

To the far right is my best friend from college Jackie! She is from L.A. California! I love her dearly! She brings some West Coast swag down to the South! We were celebrating my 22nd Birthday in Charlotte, NC.

Lastly are my Fraternity sisters and current college roommates Emily on the left, and Elizabeth on the right! Both of them were born and raised in South Carolina! All 3 of us are music majors and Christians!  

Instagram @OhSoBariSaxy SnapChat @OhSoBariSaxy Twitter @OhSoBariSaxy YouTube Cherise Ishman Made in Germany. Raised All Over The World. Army Brat. Christian. Saxophonist. Band Geek. Low Reeds Instructor. Model. Sephora Girl. Winthrop University Music Education Major. Writer for Her Campus Winthrop. John 3:30
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.