Bernie Sanders At Winthrop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

**All photos belong to Winthrop University** 

On Saturday September 12th, Senator Bernie Sanders had the opportunity to speak to many students and faculty as part of his Democratic presidential campaign trail. With over 3,000 people in attendance in Byrnes Auditorium, Sanders made quite an impression amongst the Winthrop and Rock Hill community.

Candace Livingston, a political science major with a double minor in English and social sciences, was among many students who were on stage with Senator Bernie Sanders and Dr. Cornel West when they reached out to the supporters of the 2016 presidental election. 

A native of Georgetown, South Carolina, Livingston plans to pursue a career in teaching government and economics or political science in a high school and then become a professor in a political science department at a university after graduating Winthrop. Livingston said that Saturday’s experience left her more satisfied to become proactive in the upcoming election. 

“It enabled me to feel the excitement, as well as the anxiety, that candidates face each time they step on stage in front of several thousands of people,” Livingston said. “It made me become a bit more empathetic with all of the candidates running because it is not easy to get up in front of a myriad of diverse people and express ideas that they may or may not agree with.”

In the past, she said that she was very dissatisfied of potential candidates that she has listened to and watched on the news. Mr. Jeb Bush, another candidate who is also running for president, visited Winthrop on August 18th, to discuss his ideas for our country, Livingston said she was not in attendance.

“After hearing some of my peers discuss what he asserted while he was here and his unreadiness to lead this country, I am glad I was not there. However, it may have been smart to go and here his perspectives, but I had other plans.”

Livingston said that Sanders’s political rally was an informative one.

“It was very informational in a general sense,” she said. “I felt like both Senator Sanders and Dr. Cornel West brought about ideas that the people of America needed to hear, whether they left the event as a supporter or not. There were some complaints that it was too long, but there would have been the same complaints if it was much shorter; you cannot please the masses all of the time.”

Livingston wanted to share how she prepared for this event. She became an active volunteer in Sanders’ campaign after one of Mr. Sanders volunteers on the campaign trail spoke at Winthrop college democrats meeting.

Candace Livingston speaking to the Bernie supporters.

“I had already done my research on Senator Sanders prior to the meeting, but when the opportunity arose, I took it on. After volunteering, I was given the task to help in the search for students who would be interested in speaking at the event, however, I had no luck. Either everyone had stage fright or did not think their story would be able to resonate with the people in the audience. Soon after, when time was of the essence, one of the volunteer staff members asked if I would be willing to speak. I reluctantly accepted because I was unsure if my story would resonate as well. However, I thought about why I supported Senator Sanders and realized that the issues he stood on were ones that connected with my life, so I took the chance to try to influence others who may have a similar mindset as me.”

The political science department here at Winthrop prepared for this event on a monthly basis.

Livingston shared that it was amazing meeting Mr. Bernie Sanders and Dr. Cornel West. 

“Amazing, eye opening, and a sensational experience,” she said. “Senator Sanders is still relatively new to me, but I’ve been watching and listening to Dr. Cornel West my entire life, so it was a blessing to be able to meet him personally and have him congratulate me after my speech.”

She shared one thing that resonates with her. “He was very assertive in saying that Sanders has much of the integrity needed in today’s society. Also, his focus on investing in jobs and education instead of jails and incarceration.” Livingston said she spoke briefly with him after the speech but he didn’t say anything specific.

Livingston says it was “absolutely surreal” being the emcee that night. “It was an absolutely surreal experience that I will never forget. My life went from 0-100 real quick! I am actually only taking my second and third political political science classes right now because I recently switched my major so being able to be apart of something that big at the initiation of my journey within the major was…major!”

She said that more students should take interest in what is going on currently. “A lot is changing and fast. Coming to events such as this will allow students to get a better perspective on the mechanics and reasoning behind why things are happening in our country.”

When discussing how she felt about being chosen to represent the Department of Political Science with her peers she said that it felt like receiving a gift wrapped in a very small, modest box until opened, revealing a key to a dream car.

History major, with a concentration in secondary education, LaVerne Page, Jr. was also present on stage when Sanders and West graced Byrnes auditorium with innovative ideas. The Mullins, South Carolina native plans to become a licensed funeral director and superintendent of education after graduating Winthrop.

Page said last week’s experience is one he will never forget. “I will cherish it forever,” he said. “I believe that this upcoming election will be both critical and vital to everyday Americans, this election is just as important as the 2008 and 2012 elections.”

Like Livingston, Page was not in attendance when Jeb Bush visited our university last month. Page says Sanders’s speech was inspiring and informative.

“It inspired me to become more involved in the political process and actually want to help out in the campaign process,” Page said. “I thought he was very informative and told the absolute truth when it came down to the economic and social issues of our day. The truth needs to be told, whether we want to hear it or we don’t. The truth will set us (middle class, minority, college students) free and I believe Bernie Sanders wants the Americans free from “Politics as Usual.”

Page describes meeting Sanders and West an amazing highlight of his life. He considers both men to be extraordinary.

“I heard Sanders speak in April at the South Carolina Democratic Party Convention but didn’t get to meet him. So it was great being able to meet him and having the opportunity to shake his hand. I also grew up listening to Dr. Cornel West on C-Span, ETV and BET but to see him live was indescribable.”

One thing that still resonates with Page that he was advised by West is to “stay strong.” 

“After the event, Dr. West walked pass Carroll Hall and I spoke with him briefly again and he said something plain yet profound before parting and that was to Stay Strong!” Page said. “Those two words have now become my motto.”

Page said he was moved by both Sanders and West’s ideas. “Yes, I felt like both men were very passionate for the American people which really moved me. I feel as though we need more politicians and those in powerful positions to care more for those that not only elect them but also for those that they represent who don’t have a voice. What truly moved me was that Senator Sanders cares a lot for college students and the generation that comes after me.”

He says that of all the topics discussed his favorite was the one about social justice.

“I was very pleased with his comments on the issue and it gave me reassurance that I can be an African American and not feel threatened when I see law enforcement and also that our community is a vital resource in the fabric of America.”

Page believes Sanders’ ideas and plans can become reality.

“I believe the changes that he wants to implement are not far stretched, but I guess the American people will have to decide once it is time to vote.”

Page says Sanders is down to earth, is great with people is truthful and real. He believes that without a doubt, Sanders would make an excellent president of this country.

I am a Mass Communications major at Winthrop University with a minor in theatre. I enjoy reading, writing, singing, blogging, traveling, photography and all things newsworthy(media, fashion and entertainment). I also love having fun and doing quality professional work. I enjoy volunteering with various organizations one in particular SOAR. A fun fact about myself is that I enjoy figure-skating and I use to take piano lessons. I truly enjoy being in the company of my family, friends and church family and I love helping others. I am excited about this opportunity, as I am looking forward to learning and passing it on.
Winthrop University is a small, liberal arts college in Rock Hill, SC.