Anne Marie Maghakian ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Winthrop chapter.

Name: Anne Marie Maghakian

Hometown: Charleston, SC

Major: Psychology

Q: What is your new years resolution?

A: My New Year’s resolution this year is to make the most out of each day and to remind myself of the little blessings each day brings. It can be so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of school and succumb to the stress and feelings of anxiety, so it is my goal to set aside time each day to remind myself of just how blessed I am for being able to see a new day.

Q: Why did you choose Winthrop?

A: I chose Winthrop because I love how student-centered the university is and that student success is a major priority here. I also love the size of Winthrop; it is large enough so that I have the opportunity to meet new people each day, but also small enough so that I may see familiar faces on a day-to-day basis.

Q: What are you favorite places on campus?

A: My two favorite places on campus would have to be Starbucks and the amphitheater. I love Starbucks because it’s such a warm and loving atmosphere, and a great way to treat myself after classes! I love the amphitheater because I like to take my ENO hammock, hang it up between some trees, and just relax and take some time to unwind and enjoy in the beautiful day.

Q: Why did you choose to study psychology?

A: I chose to major in psychology because I have such a strong passion for helping others and finding positive solutions to problems. It is my hope that one day I will be able to provide a sense of mental peace and contentment to individuals struggling with mental discomfort. 

Q: What other activities are you involved with on campus?

A: Right now I am focused on my schoolwork and keeping on track with my academic goals, so I am not currently involved with any activities on campus. However, I do plan getting involved with organizations, such as the psychology club and Reformed Campus Ministries. I feel that campus organizations are a wonderful way to take a break from our busy academic schedules and provide a wonderful opportunity to meet new people!

Q: What is something interesting about you?

A: I have a small tattoo on my left wrist. My tattoo says, “Quiesce Perferque,” which is a Latin phrase that means to “keep calm and carry through.” I got my tattoo two summers ago, and it means the world to me. It’s on my wrist so that whenever I am feeling anxious or nervous, I can simply look down at it and immediately feel a sense of peace.

I am Carolyn Rennix, a CoFounder of Her Campus Winthrop and a senior mass communication major at Winthrop University in Rock Hill, South Carolina. I am also the editor-in-chief of Winthrop's weekly student newspaper, The Johnsonian. I enjoy feature writing, photography and blogging -- all while drinking coffee at local shops of course. I was raised in a small seaside town, but I plan to travel and see what this world has in store for a young journalist.